A Good lesson can be learned

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
I gues a lesson can be taken from the guys out west and in Texas, OK, and all of th eother dry places. Keep two plus years worth of hay on hand when possible. For me that would be hard to do but, hearing all of these guys talk about it, it sounds like a good idea. Three year old hay is a lot better than no hay.

A good friend of mine has been in the business a long time. I always thought it was silly to have a years worth of hay in the barn. I usually got by using no hay. Well last fall we had no rain and I had no winter pasture. Learned my lesson. Son and I decided when we get through this we will not be caught flat footed again. This spring my friend said this was the worst he'd seen it. He sold 3/4 of his herd, about a 150 head. My tanks are dry as of this week. I have a few of my best left and they drink the same water I do now. Lost about 20 years of work, but when its over I should be better off with a good lesson learned.

Well we have had a lot of rain here, got hay coming out my ears. Its not the best quallity but I have fed worse. I wish I could share.

Herefordcross":1pwlep7h said:
You can share, put a price on it and advertise.

I'm not sure how much we have left from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - but 4th cutting is coming up in a month or so and, to the best of my knowledge, no one has spoken for any of it yet. We're selling it for about 100 (possibly 110 - I'm not 100% sure)/ton for good quality alfalfa. You have your choice of 3X3X8's or small squares, and you handle transportation and shipping costs. If you're interested let me know and I will put you in touch with Dad.

We're ok Msscmp. I was just letting him know that he could sell his extra if he wanted too, there are plenty out there needing hay. Thanks for mentioning it though

If I gave the hay away it would cost more to haul low quallity hay to Texas than it would be worth.

Herefordcross":3nj76wkb said:
We're ok Msscmp. I was just letting him know that he could sell his extra if he wanted too, there are plenty out there needing hay. Thanks for mentioning it though

I'm glad, and no problem. I know transportation and related costs would be a killer for most people, but I thought it might be feasible for an owner/operator or if a group of people went together to split the transportation costs. Could be cheaper than having to buy hay hauled in by other means.

Latest posts