Less Labor/Low Cost Way to Feed Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

RBBrangus

Reaction score
We run a small herd of registered brangus cows in north florida and are preparing for breeding season. We are AIing about 20-30 cows in about 60 days and were planning on feeding a supplement in an attempt to get as many possible bred to AI. We have fed bulk soy hull pellets in the past, but this gets to be pretty labor intensive as we have other jobs. We also have limited equipment which includes a small tractor with no front-end loader, a flatbed, and bunk feeders. Our method of feeding in the past has been to fill the flatbed with feed at the local grain dealer, store the flatbed in the barn, shovel the feed into buckets, and then carry it to the bunk feeders on the tractor. Does anybody have any ideas on a way to feed that would be less labor intensive and wouldn't empty our wallets???

Welp,
What kind of forage are they runnin on now? If there is ample dry forage you might just consider 20% range cubes which can be custom bagged at your feed store, they are about 8 dollars cwt. ( can get expensive)I believe around here. We are feeding one large round alfalfa bale here to 63 head along with some straw set out for filler. They are fat and happy and fixing to calve next month.
bif

Hi,

Im new to this but can i ask a stupid question? What is AI?

BTW what part of N. FL are you from? Im just outside of Jacksonville. Just curious as to what other folks in the area are raising. We have 4 Limousin so far and might enter the Angus area but see my other post about the open sore on the bull.

Thanks,
Susan = )

BTW what part of N. FL are you from? Im just outside of Jacksonville. Just curious as to what other folks in the area are raising.

Susan,

Our farm is located just west of Live Oak in Suwannee County, Florida. We raise registered Brangus cattle and our farm name is River Bend Ranch (we have a small ad in the Florida Cattlemen). We like Brangus for multiple reasons:

- They combine the heat tolerance, maternal ability, and hardiness of the Brahman breed with the carcass traits and maternal ability of the Angus breed.

- The breed organization is very active and progressive, more so than the other brahman influenced breeds. For more information on the breed go to http://www.int-brangus.org.

- There are some really great ranches that are making great progress with the breed. Check out http://www.campcooley.com and http://www.moundcreekranch.com.

- Lastly, they are REALLY popular in Florida and the rest of the southeast. There is great demand for Brangus sired calves at the market, commercial (not registered) Brangus replacement females, and registered Brangus bulls. Therefore, we get great prices for our animals.

Hope this helps you out, we really like the Brangus breed. I'll go check out your other post right now.

I'll try to get this topic back on topic. I just feed 2:1 cottonseed meal and salt. I put it out either 400 or 500 pounds at a time in eight foot cover troughs built by either highschool wood shop students or FFA students. Troughs cost less than $200.

When bad winter weather is predicted, I put out 400 of the 2:1 meal and add 100 pounds of ground corn to give them a little extra energy. I just mix it in the trough with a shovel.

In your other post you mention extra protein to get the cows to rebreed early. In that case you may want to use a 3:1 meal/salt ratio.

My cows eat about 1 1/2 pound/day/head of the meal and salt and it goes faster with the corn mixed in.

i have tried many different methods. you can feed a purina accuration. this can be mixed in different concentration levels for bulls,heifers, or cows. you might try this. It works well for me.

Latest posts