Leg of Lamb

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Don't eat much lamb here so I had to wing this some. Marinated for about four hours then slow smoked it for another four hours trying to get it to medium rare so if we nuke it later it won't get tough. As is its about as good as I've ever had lamb. No funky taste, tender with a silkiness that I could get used to real quick.

Jogeephus":1kwonlo7 said:
Don't eat much lamb here so I had to wing this some. Marinated for about four hours then slow smoked it for another four hours trying to get it to medium rare so if we nuke it later it won't get tough. As is its about as good as I've ever had lamb. No funky taste, tender with a silkiness that I could get used to real quick.

That sure does look tender and succulent . :D We just started eating lamb a few years ago, and love it ... Maybe they are raising lamb differently than before or we are just getting better at preparing it , probably the second one . ;-)

That's some good lookin pasture maggot!

Just kiddin. I like lamb but it has to be perfect. I don't like imported lamb. Way too gamey

This had no gamey taste to it whatsoever. It came from a hairless lamb brought over by the Spaniards in the 1700's and they can take the heat. It is really good but my daughter asked me what I was going to prepare with it and I told her I'd leave that to her and her mother. She says, "great, we can chop it up and make stir fry!". I think I mentioned we don't eat much lamb here. :lol2:

Jo, have got to say that I've never tried smoked lamb. We usually braai, stew or roast it....and it should at least change color a little more :p

Except for my oldest daughter raising one for the county fair, we've never had them. We do buy a couple every year from a neighbor. We love it. I can't say I would love it all the time but it's certainly is worthy of the table on occasion. And I haven't smoke any either. Never could find papers that big, but I do cook mine to the about the same color.

alisonb":2ta9vh3q said:
Jo, have got to say that I've never tried smoked lamb. We usually braai, stew or roast it....and it should at least change color a little more :p

:lol2:

I cooked it to 140F and then foiled it to rest. Temp should have increased to 145-150F during rest putting it at medium rare. I don't care for overcooked meat and this will invariably be reheated later this week in the microwave so cooking it much more would have done it an injustice I think.

Jo, your lamb looks superb!! Like some have remarked above, I like lamb myself but it has to be prepared just right!!

We're hoping we can figure out how to prepare it right! Not over cooking is probaly the first step. We raised lambs and Boer goats for the first time this year, we're holding back one lamb and one goat for butcher. Never had lamb, but had a Boer goat rib steak from the neighbor last week and it was surprisingly awesome no odor, strange taste. Highly recommended!!

We had lamb chops last night , they were superb . Our first dinner together in a week and our last for another week , so it was really nice . I only said they were chops so I wasn't really lying but my 11 year old nephew devoured them ,he never would have touched them knowing it was from a lamb . :hide:

Its always puzzled me how some people will put a mental block on certain foods even though they may find them delicious. My wife will not knowingly eat venison unless it is jerky. Makes absolutely no sense. Incidently, she did love the venison I prepared yesterday and remarked it was some of the best beef we have raised. ;-)

Jogeephus":3kkzmldo said:
Its always puzzled me how some people will put a mental block on certain foods even though they may find them delicious. My wife will not knowingly eat venison unless it is jerky. Makes absolutely no sense. Incidently, she did love the venison I prepared yesterday and remarked it was some of the best beef we have raised. ;-)

Yes but < there are something's that I am sure are tasty but I just do not want to try them ,,, EVER !!! :lol:

Made pretzel buns for burgers tonight, can't wait to try my pickles on the burgers too .

Those look nice.

hillsdown":2ctu8v8v said:
Yes but < there are something's that I am sure are tasty but I just do not want to try them ,,, EVER !

I understand .... but venison? Come on. Its organic. :lol2:

Jogeephus":253el2fu said:
hillsdown":253el2fu said:
Yes but < there are something's that I am sure are tasty but I just do not want to try them ,,, EVER !

It is extremely organic ! That may be why ... :lol: :cowboy:

hillsdown":2zddhdhh said:
Jogeephus":2zddhdhh said:
hillsdown":2zddhdhh said:

It is extremely organic ! That may be why ... :lol: :cowboy:

I actually agree with you on this and if whatever I make tastes like venison then I feel I have failed. Most of the venison I cook you can't tell the difference between it and beef.

I have no problem with venison ,especially if you have prepared it . :D

I do however have some concern still about trying, squirrel , beaver ,possum etc.. :lol: :p

hillsdown":1v6tbmvn said:

I do however have some concern still about trying, squirrel , beaver ,possum etc.. :lol: :p

Dang it We never got to fix you that possum when you were here :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

3waycross":2yvmyxuw said:
hillsdown":2yvmyxuw said:

Dang it We never got to fix you that possum when you were here :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Sounds like she is angling for some coon, it's not listed. :mrgreen:

Latest posts