Leasing Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
I am leasing a bull for 90 days and I wanted to see what the going rate for leasing a bull was. Any info would be appriciated.
Thanks KaneRanch

We leas bulls for a "breeding season" for 50% of the asking price. Generally this is up to the person leasing the bull, they might have them all summer and we don't see him till fall. A basic break down goes like this.
Bully is on the market for $2000 so we get a $2000 payment and fill out a lease agreement that says you are responsible just about like you own him. You have him for your breeding season then when he comes back(12-31-07 deadline this year) if he is in sound condition you get $1000 refund and the lease is over. They also have the option of buying the bull for the original amount anytime during the lease agreement. Then Bully is fed till in very good condition and goes to sale ring as slaughter bull.

kaneranch":3j6t98mg said:
I am leasing a bull for 90 days and I wanted to see what the going rate for leasing a bull was. Any info would be appriciated.
Thanks KaneRanch

$150 to $200 a month plus care.

I paid $700 and used him for three months ... then I bought him (possession and 50% of semen rights). A very good bull.

I got a pretty good deal than. I am leasing mine (from a friend) for three months (with option of buying of keeping longer) for 200 bucks.

kaneranch":jvw6dtvm said:
I got a pretty good deal than. I am leasing mine (from a friend) for three months (with option of buying of keeping longer) for 200 bucks.

Depends on the bull..... ;-)

TNMasterBeefProducer":1kf4qug2 said:
Good way to introduce std's into your herd.

A bull is typically not going to be the carrier of Brucellosis if they have been off the cows for a period. It is the cows, and with a bull servicing them within days of each other he can spread it around.

You make a very good point though....make sure you use a bull from a good herd reliable source, and request or pay to have him vet checked especially if he has just been with cows. If you are the leaser, make sure your price includes a health check following the exposure, especially if his is going to be going right back into service again.

We only lease virgin bulls, that is why if the breeder wants to use the same bull he needs to purchase him before the end of the lease. All bulls that come back from the lese get fed to a good condition then to the sale barn. I would hate to spread trich around.

Sage":31opagka said:
We only lease virgin bulls, that is why if the breeder wants to use the same bull he needs to purchase him before the end of the lease. All bulls that come back from the lese get fed to a good condition then to the sale barn. I would hate to spread trich around.

Sage, am I missing something in your math in your first post. If you lease a 2k bull for 1k and he is brought back (virgin bull leased one time)........then you invest the money to feed him to condition and then he is sold as a slaughter bull........it would appear that you would lose money on this bull. Slaughter bulls in this area sell for about .50 per pound or less if they have any size on them. No knock on your system I may be just misunderstanding you.

Hoss we figure that if a bull is worth $1500 and we get $750 for the lease and a bull in decent shape in the fall. We can feedlot him feeding our own chopped hay and get from 2.5-3.5lb/day gain. We only need to get the $750+feeding to come out OK. If he comes back at 1600lb and is fed for 60days @3lb/day gain that makes an 1780lb bull. Markets here are usually .58-.62 for good young sloughter bulls. This gives us $1030-$1100. We come out OK but we don't lease our best bulls, the $2000 mark is about as high as you can go and break even.

Sage":2eg022ns said:
Hoss we figure that if a bull is worth $1500 and we get $750 for the lease and a bull in decent shape in the fall. We can feedlot him feeding our own chopped hay and get from 2.5-3.5lb/day gain. We only need to get the $750+feeding to come out OK. If he comes back at 1600lb and is fed for 60days @3lb/day gain that makes an 1780lb bull. Markets here are usually .58-.62 for good young sloughter bulls. This gives us $1030-$1100. We come out OK but we don't lease our best bulls, the $2000 mark is about as high as you can go and break even.

Thanks for the clarification. :cboy:

Thank you Sage:
I'm just a bit slow minded .
I'm gonna have to study this a bit.
Perhaps I should read this out loud.
sorry---it's my problem..

It makes sense but..........then ....
:oops: :roll: :?:

give me a little time i 'll catch up :idea:

Add the $750.00 lease paymet to the salvage of $1030-$1100 for $1780-$1850that we recieve for a $1500 bull and feediing for 60 days.

why is he a salvage bull?
it seems he just got started.

like he has just gotten warmed up?
Do you depreciate the fact that he has been working somewhere else?
In one way of thinking, it seems the owner would be appreciate the fact that the up keep and etc of a bull is a ++;; why is it a (-)
to return the bull?
what am I missing?

Any bulls that come back from lease go to slavage for a few reasons. The market around here is very good for yopung bulls so we usually get more than the asking price when it's all done. Most of the customers have small herds and keep ther own replacements so they want different genetics. By only leasing virgin bulls we eliminate the risk of bringing diseases from one herd to another.
Generally it is our lower end that are leased(very high quality animals, not junk bulls) but if the customer wants to they can purchase the bull for the original price anytime during the lease. It seems to help out the smaller producers and doesn't hurt us so I think it's a good thing for now.

ok;
i better understand;
perhaps that is a thing for me to consider on this last group of birthing.
i got three bulls -one heifer.
i did not really know what specifically to do w/ these 3.
i considered waiting til the spring sale @ the Whitley's Annual big sale.
i want to keep the heifer. she is red solid//3/4ra.
I want to breed the mommas w/out buying a bull.
if one is to have a few mommas to bred--do you ever allow a few ladies come over to your place//instead of letting your bull go traveling?

We custom AI quite a few cattle belonging to others here but we don't offer natural service. We just expanded so we have enough space for 400hd of yearlings to synchronize and AI at a time. Almost everyone around here calves in the spring so we are busy mid April-June breeding and this time of year were looking for stuff to do till calving starts.

Latest posts