Lease Country Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I am from southwestern PA. There seems to be plenty around my area. Some just for mowing
it off in the summer or for the property taxes....which usually isnt much money if they
are in the govt. programs. This would be ground that wont make corn, beans, or too
steep to round bale. Our stocking rates are high...it rains here every week in the summer!
Across the WV line ..5 miles...the state BUYS THEIR LIME, I Wish PA did that!
Lots of natural gas work going on..they are putting up a lot of new fences for the farmers
that have lines or wells.

There is always land avaialble here if you get out and look. Generally run 2 acres per pair. The cost will run about $20-50 an acre. Lots and lots that needs the fences replaced.

Around here finding land to lease is about the hardest thing there is to do, we generally run a pair to 3 acres, and it cost's about 25 an acre and up, the cost is not to bad it just can't hardly be found.

denvermartinfarms":4nmlwj6c said:
Around here finding land to lease is about the hardest thing there is to do, we generally run a pair to 3 acres, and it cost's about 25 an acre and up, the cost is not to bad it just can't hardly be found.
That's about the same is it is here.

1-1 25 per acre its hard to find pasture to rent here since the farming here is primarily row crops. I lease over 2000 acres of land for row crops and thats 45 per acre and some I pay 55.00 per acre.

skyhightree1":lpxjlibc said:
1-1 25 per acre its hard to find pasture to rent here since the farming here is primarily row crops. I lease over 2000 acres of land for row crops and thats 45 per acre and some I pay 55.00 per acre.

I'm lost. Row crop ground is $45-55, or pasture land is $45-55? If its row crop, I wonder why it's not in the crp.

Another factor here is, for instance, there is 50 acres of nice pasture with good fence and could be hayable, right close to me just about a mile away, the guy that has it leased is paying 1000$ a year for it and the owner is paying someone else to brushog it, i would be more than happy to pay 2000$ for it and brushog it for that, but the owner just says since he allready has it leased he is just going to keep it the way it is. I can understand this but lease prices could be higher here if some people would try to get it, i have been around several situations like this where people just let it go because the same person has leased it for a while.

There is nothing here to lease. All row crop, and crp. I only know of two places remotely close to me that are leased. I lease one of them, and someone else leases the other. I pay close to $40. It's got a good pond, and a catching pen you can at least gather in to load. About one unit to two acres is all it could handle if you were depending on it. It joins me so I just make it part of my rotation.

Bigfoot":160vmgto said:
skyhightree1":160vmgto said:

I'm lost. Row crop ground is $45-55, or pasture land is $45-55? If its row crop, I wonder why it's not in the crp.

I am basing my answer on the land i lease for pastures vs what I lease for row crops. I had a friend i hunt with who had pastures that were used to raise cattle and they sold the cattle my friend introduced me to the land owners and I pay 25 per acre for the pasture .. pastures for lease here are hard to find... and was saying row crops I lease for 45-55 dollars per acre

skyhightree1":116np8n8 said:
Bigfoot":116np8n8 said:
skyhightree1":116np8n8 said:

I am basing my answer on the land i lease for pastures vs what I lease for row crops. I had a friend i hunt with who had pastures that were used to raise cattle and they sold the cattle my friend introduced me to the land owners and I pay 25 per acre for the pasture .. pastures for lease here are hard to find... and was saying row crops I lease for 45-55 dollars per acre

That's sounds like a good price. It would be 5 or 6 times that here.

What Bigfoot said.
I know of a number of parcels that used to have cattle on them that are now being row-cropped, with the owner getting upwards of $250/acre cash rent. Not sure that I'd want to fool with feeding a bunch of cows through the winter if I could just sit back and let the $$$ roll in, if I were another 10-20 yrs older...
Have seen several NICE cattle farms sold in the last year or two - they bulldozed out all the fences, cut/dug out stumps in the wood lots and all the way back to creekbanks, and planted it all down in corn. Saddening to me, 'cause I know that when those fences go away, the cows aren't coming back.

Come up to west central IL and try to find pastures to rent. If you can find them 20-50$/a for grass season will be the range. Now compare that crop ground at 250-500$/a. Bet you can guess how much grass is for rent.

Between 1-4 acres per pair here, depending if the land is lowland or highland.

Rent will be around $2-3 an acre, although I know of some in the past that have paid $12 an acre - absolutely insane by my standards.

Most isn't rented because the fences fall down and I seem to be the only one that likes to fence.

I was offered one new place in September, 240 acres total, about 70 acres cleared, good spring for water. About $350 a year. But all the fence had to be replaced and it's a little too far for me to make it worth my while, 11 miles.

Angus Guy":ixlbsn9o said:
Come up to west central IL and try to find pastures to rent. If you can find them 20-50$/a for grass season will be the range. Now compare that crop ground at 250-500$/a. Bet you can guess how much grass is for rent.

I know this will sound stupid but your talking $500 an acre per year right? /;(

Latest posts