Leachman Right Time

Help Support CattleToday:

kb5iod

Reaction score
1. I have a chance to buy a bull out of Leachman Right Time. I am wanting to breed towards efficiency and profit on grass, working towards minimal to no hay. I have a lot of fescue on my place and cattle seem to do well on it during the winter. Does anyone have an opinion on how this bloodline would match up with my plans? From what I understand this bull is known for his daughters.

2. While I am wanting to maintain a moderate frame size, the bull I am looking at is four years old but probably only weighs about 1400-1500lbs. Any comments on a bull this size? I have his epd's and they are very close to slightly above the angus average.

kb5iod":1xkaxlqo said:
1. I have a chance to buy a bull out of Leachman Right Time. I am wanting to breed towards efficiency and profit on grass, working towards minimal to no hay. I have a lot of fescue on my place and cattle seem to do well on it during the winter. Does anyone have an opinion on how this bloodline would match up with my plans? From what I understand this bull is known for his daughters.

I can't answer most of those questions, but we do have several Right Time daughters and like them a lot.

2. While I am wanting to maintain a moderate frame size, the bull I am looking at is four years old but probably only weighs about 1400-1500lbs. Any comments on a bull this size? I have his epd's and they are very close to slightly above the angus average.

I'd wonder about a four year old that only weighed 1400 lbs. But management plays a big role in the development of a bull. He might have weighed 2,000 lbs if he'd been managed to express his genetic potential. Right Time isn't magic, there was a cow involved in the production of the bull you're looking at. Do you know anything about her?

It would be nice to see the dam but the only information I have about the cow is what is on the bull's papers. The cow was sired by B/R New Design.

if you are going to be a fescue only operation, i would buy bulls out of fescue only operations, and that includes a fescue only sire (aka - probably not an AI sire).

if you are going to be a fescue only operation, i would buy bulls out of fescue only operations, and that includes a fescue only sire (aka - probably not an AI sire).

While not Fescue only, it is a big portion of my grass. I have Dallis and a little common during the warm/hot months. The cattle I have currently have all done well through the winter with almost no hay. I have some heifers that are calving now and they have gained weight all winter and are looking good. I think you are right about finding a fescue conditioned bull. I think I am headed in the right direction and don't want to go backwards in fescue tolerance. I would think that fescue would be a common element in a primarily foraged based system, (at least in the areas that it occurs), however, I can't seem to generate any leads on bulls that are not pumped up on grain, (vs. forage proven), and conditioned to fescue.

i try to avoid shameless plugs, but Mike Keeney has a sale this weekend of fescue only bulls that thrive on fescue only in drought conditions. it is a little bit of a drive, but you should at least talk to him.

http://5barx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=393

kb5iod":9f7js26n said:
I think you are right about finding a fescue conditioned bull.

not just that particular bull that has grown up on fescue, but also the type of cattle that do well in fescue and no supplementation. most high growth bulls are not designed to live off of grass and hay. the problem you run into is that these bulls that add growth usually add mature size. when you add mature size, you increase their daily nutritional requirements. when you increase their requirements and still have them on grass only, they are very short on minimum requirements and they come up open. even on free choice hay, higher demand cows still lack nutrition and have to be supplemented with protein blocks, grain, etc to get them to regularly come in bred on time.

as long as producers understand that this increase in growth will require an increase in nutrition and input cost, these types of bulls should work fine. the only reason i point this out is because you specifically said you want to keep them as low input cattle.

if you still decide to AI, 338 is a pretty good choice (as long as he isnt used on heifers) because of his low mature size EPDs that have decent accuracy. his calves will still require more nutrition than a bull designed to be used in your area type, but at least the 38 mature cows shouldnt increase mature size as much as a lot of growth bulls.

that's enough for now. i probably stirred the pot more than most would like for me to. :) do yourself a favor and at least talk to Mike.

kb5iod":3dq0ikgz said:

I have some EXT(Right time's sire) X N Design females that I like really well . They are moderate framed with good length. If you are putting them on fescue just be patient and give them a little more time to mature before breeding. All of mine are pretty easy keepers and have great udders. I might add I have had no temperament problems with them or their calves.