Laura Ingalls Wilder museum

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Anybody been to the home/museum in Mansfield, Missouri? We are going down to Springfield for Rock n Ribs in April and I want to make a side trip to see it. My husband is looking forward to this about like a prostate exam, but he's drug me through plenty of manly crap that didn't interest me so he'll survive it. :nod:

Would appreciate comments from anyone who's been there. And are there any other fans of hers on here?

I am a huge fan, loved all of her books I was a kid. I still like to watch Little House on the Prairie on CTS when I get a chance.

Have never been to the museum but that sounds like a great time, take lots of pics please.. :)

I read the books as a kid, then as an adult I was given a box set and read them again. That's when I really became a fan. The great values, attitude and spirit that they had...like when they lived on fish all summer, it was all they had. But she didn't whine and vow never to eat fish again, instead she complimented her mother on all the different ways she prepared it. And her father's ingenuity for building a fish trap.

I didn't care for the tv show because it departed from the stories in the books about halfway thru the first episode. It offended me that the writers wrote their own stories like hers weren't good enough!

MO_cows":c1cnkay4 said:
I read the books as a kid, then as an adult I was given a box set and read them again. That's when I really became a fan. The great values, attitude and spirit that they had...like when they lived on fish all summer, it was all they had. But she didn't whine and vow never to eat fish again, instead she complimented her mother on all the different ways she prepared it. And her father's ingenuity for building a fish trap.

I didn't care for the tv show because it departed from the stories in the books about halfway thru the first episode. It offended me that the writers wrote their own stories like hers weren't good enough!
I have lived within 30 miles of it most of my life and never been their drive within a mile or so of it at least 1 or 2 times a month
it is only a 30 miute drive from Springfield so it isn't too far out of your way

Stopped by there and toured the place with wife and grandkids about 8 or 10 years ago.Have to admit it was pretty interesting.Sure was a little house though.I think the wife and grandaughter enjoyed it more than the grandson and I. I drive right by it every July when going back to Mo for the family reunion.
A lot better drive since 60 hwy is completed and they raised the speed limit past 55 mph.

Cal

Hi MO,

I raised my girls with those books. My youngest (12) is now reading them aloud to her 94 year old grandmother. Not sure who is enjoying it more. It engenders lots of conversation about how things were done in the 'olden days! Gramma may struggle with short-term memory, but man, can she remember "way back!"

We visited the museum several years ago with our girls on a western states tour. They loved it (ages 14, 13 and 7 at the time), I loved it and my husband claimed it "wasn't just too bad" He really liked the rope making demonstration. Your's will probably survive! :D

Have fun.

Carrie

We took our girls, who were big fans, several years ago. Your husband will enjoy it too. I did.

Latest posts