Aircraft carrier Museum?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I've always been fascinated by Navy ship and especially air craft carriers. I've finally made up my mind to go visit one in person. Because of where I live, I'll have to fly to any one of the ports where the ships are docked, so location of the ships doesn't matter to me. Has anyone been to see these, and what was your opinion?

USS Midway- San Diego
USS Lexington- Corpus Christi
USS Hornet- Alameda
USS Intrepid- New York
USS Yorktown- Charleston

I have been Yorktown and I liked it, just do not go in July unless you carry around a water jug. My favorite I have been to is the USS North Carliona at Wilmington, NC. Those 16 inch guns are amazing.

I have been aboard USS Lexington (Corpus Christi Texas) as a museum and served on her when she was the Navy's pilot training carrier homeported in Pensacola Fla.
It was a great experience both times.
IF, you decide to visit USS Lexington, I would suggest flying into Houston, renting a car and spend one day visiting BB-35 USS Texas , the last remaining Dreadnaught battleship in the world, drive across the street to see the tallest obelisk monument in the world, then drive on down to Corpus and spend the next day on Lex.

I do NOT recommend visiting these fine old warships in the middle of summer. I have been aboard Texas many many times (grew up within 6 miles of her) and most of the spaces are very hot in mid summer especially in engineering.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks ... ship-texas
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks ... ttleground

Thanks for the opinion, Greybeard. With the current weather here in Pennsylvania, I was planning on a February trip. I have a cousin that took a one year job in San Antonio, maybe visit her and hit the ships in one trip.

I went to the Midway this last summer. It was great but the best part was talking to the volunteers. Almost all of them were in their eighties and had served and were more than happy to tell us all about it. There are also a few historical ships such as a russian submarine docked right there next to the Midway that you can tour.
San Diego is fantastic weather year round with just an occasional shower so it's easy to visit.

Carriers are really only impressive because of size. The BBs were impressive because of a lot of things, size of the guns being just one.

I was on the Missouri several times back when it was at Bremerton. And I was on one of the big aircraft carriers over there too. That was years ago and I can't remember which one it was. I just remember it was one big ship.

millstreaminn":3hscfsr5 said:
Thanks for the opinion, Greybeard. With the current weather here in Pennsylvania, I was planning on a February trip. I have a cousin that took a one year job in San Antonio, maybe visit her and hit the ships in one trip.
If you go to Corpus you might consider going down the road to Kingsville and visit the King Ranch.

hillbilly beef man":er0sgp5g said:
I have been Yorktown and I liked it, just do not go in July unless you carry around a water jug. My favorite I have been to is the USS North Carliona at Wilmington, NC. Those 16 inch guns are amazing.

Ditto on that. I enjoyed the USS NC the best but I like guns more than planes and those guns are fantastic.

millstreaminn, come on down to Charleston and visit the "Fighting Lady". She is impressive.... while you're here, enjoy some "Charleston She Crab Soup" and some local oysters.... Afterwards take in Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter, or one of the historic plantations such as Magnolia Gardens, Drayton Hall, Middleton Place or you may just enjoy shopping at The Market,or King Street, located downtown Charleston... It's all within less than a thirty minute drive of Charleston International... C'mon Y'all.... John Reb

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/t ... ctions~31/

John Reb":yhhzkjya said:
millstreaminn, come on down to Charleston and visit the "Fighting Lady". She is impressive.... while you're here, enjoy some "Charleston She Crab Soup" and some local oysters.... Afterwards take in Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter, or one of the historic plantations such as Magnolia Gardens, Drayton Hall, Middleton Place or you may just enjoy shopping at The Market,or King Street, located downtown Charleston... It's all within less than a thirty minute drive of Charleston International... C'mon Y'all.... John Reb

JR, don't forget the aquarium. Well worth the visit and they have a good AC unit. :nod:

John Reb":yli64zrk said:

Don't forget The Wreck on Shem Creek in Mt. Plesant. Fried oyster and shrimp combo with red rice.

Jogeephus":28yh2dkl said:
hillbilly beef man":28yh2dkl said:

Ditto on that. I enjoyed the USS NC the best but I like guns more than planes and those guns are fantastic.
Guns
(my nephew was down visiting last summer and I took him over to BB35--these are 13", but it was built several decades before the Iowa class battleships were. Texas was the most powerful and deadly ship in the world when it was built. It has piston driven steam engines)
e0sn.jpg

Latest posts