Late breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
How long do you you give a cow/heifer after she weans a calf before you cull her for not breeding back ? One thing I've learned and gotten from this site record keeping . I think I have some that are border line late calvers everytime and are costing me $

We stick with a 45 day calving season (give or take a day or 2 becuase of the vagaries of gestation). Anything that falls outside of that find new homes, either as freezer stock or as bred cows.
We run the bull with them till weaning, we preg check then. Those outside of the window get a month or so to regain condition then go.

90 day season, at the most. Heifers get 45 days. If they are open, they're gone. We always have lots of cows that move up anywhere from a month to 45 days. If they move back every year until they're out of the season...no excuses.

i culled 2 cows this summer because they didnt calve with the herd.and i also culled them on age.the fact they missed calving got them sold early.but they did get bred late.the barn vet called them 4 months bred.that wouldve put them a year behind the herd an a missed calf.

Latest posts