Late term abortion

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
Found a two year old, supposed to calve in mid Feb., with afterbirth showing up. Lost her calf. My question- all ecomimics aside would you give her another chance next year. I know the smart thing would be to sell her and cut my losses, but she is out of a really good cow and put together like I want my cows to be.
She may get so big that I won't want her next year, she's gonna' grow a lot with no calf on her, weighs about 1100 now. This may be the first abortion I have ever known about this late, so I don't really have anything to go on myself. I have plenty of replacements to work on the mix over the next few years, so it's not a numbers game.
Any opinions? I don't know why she lost her calf, or how to find out. gs

Had a 12 year old abort last winter. Gave her another chance and vet confirmed pregnant. Two weeks ago she aborted again (due in February). Lesson learned. At least for a cow that age. Vacinated for lepto before breeding.

I almost always give heifers a second chance. My investment is to large not to, especially if they are from my own herd where I know the parents. Some work out, some don't. Saying that, I would think the correct answer would be to ask your self if you have the resources to hold her over. I know hay is expensive in your area. Being that big already when probably make me decide to cull her. At 1100lbs as a two year old will put her at 1500 in a couple of years. That is to big for my operation but it might be what you are wanting. Last year when we were in our bad drought one of my better 4 year old cows aborted late. I sold her and she brought $800. One less mouth to feed was my thinking. This year I replaced her for $1200. Looking back on it now it probably wasn't the right decision. I could have kept her fed a minimal amount for around $150. Tough decision. Good luck.

ive had 2 do that first a heifer would abort around 45 days tried her about a year of doing that she had to go should have went alot sooner. Second one as a heifer had her calf then rebred her she aborted at 7 months a real good heifer so a second chance got her rebred aborted at some point not sure when so now im gonna flush her and then shes gone. Vet said the not carrying to term is not hereditary so maybe i can at least get a few embryos but if i had done what i should have the first time i wouldnt even be doing the flushing and would probably be dollars ahead.

bse":3nqwu5j6 said:
ive had 2 do that first a heifer would abort around 45 days tried her about a year of doing that she had to go should have went alot sooner. Second one as a heifer had her calf then rebred her she aborted at 7 months a real good heifer so a second chance got her rebred aborted at some point not sure when so now im gonna flush her and then shes gone. Vet said the not carrying to term is not hereditary so maybe i can at least get a few embryos but if i had done what i should have the first time i wouldnt even be doing the flushing and would probably be dollars ahead.

The mind boggles ....

Greg, very seldom would the cow or heifer that has been given a second chance, justify the decision in the long run in my experience.

Dun, the paper I had read said only 15% of abortion causes could be determined. Knersie, I know you are right. I calved as many as 95 in a 33 day period by not giving anything a second chance for years prior to that. Sure is hard to cull a good one, tho'.
Bse, I'd never have that much patience. gs

i dont really have any patience with my cattle im pretty tough on them, cows get 3 cycles to get bred wich gives me a 45 day calving season heifers get 4 cycles everything is synced and A I ed on day 1 then the bull 17 days later, i preg check 28 days after the bull is pulled any opens are on the trailer no exeptions but when they abort that late it really messes things up the one cow was getting flushed this year anyway so it just made that process a little quicker she will be flushed and then gone. may be wasting some money there but if i can get 10 embryos it will be about $90 each and if i can only get 2 or 3 good heifers like her its worth it to me.and i know i may get 0.

bse":3hxss0nr said:
i dont really have any patience with my cattle im pretty tough on them, cows get 3 cycles to get bred wich gives me a 45 day calving season heifers get 4 cycles everything is synced and A I ed on day 1 then the bull 17 days later, i preg check 28 days after the bull is pulled any opens are on the trailer no exeptions but when they abort that late it really messes things up the one cow was getting flushed this year anyway so it just made that process a little quicker she will be flushed and then gone. may be wasting some money there but if i can get 10 embryos it will be about $90 each and if i can only get 2 or 3 good heifers like her its worth it to me.and i know i may get 0.

I guess i will ask the dumb question. Why would you want to flush a heifer that cannot carry a full term pregnancy, and take the chance that it is a genetic defect that is causing it to happen?

Shes not a heifer she is coming 4 yr old in Feb she had her first calf just fine a heifer that i have and like really well thats why i decided i would flush her this year anyway but after she will not hold a calf it just moved the flush date up. I talked to 2 vets that are up on these things and the embryologist its not hereditary at all and surely not a genetic defect. Its just like some women cant carry a child but they can make the eggs to put into a surrogate so kinda the same deal flush cow recip cow. if it works i will flush her a few times and off to the sale barn.

If it is not contagious, maybe an injury caused the problem. Have seen it happen in animals before. Or maybe the placenta came loose before it is supposed to..
Lots of things could cause problems. My main concern would be disease.
NIte Hawk

Greg - I understand your concern. You aren't just talking a cow - you are talking genetics in your herd, with the phenotype you want. A late term abortion can be diseases - but a single abortion is usually just "shTT happens".
As mentioned, it depends on your resources. Talked to Bill & he said hay is at a premium in your area (like most areas).