calf is late

Help Support CattleToday:

lsharp143

Reaction score
I have a cow that is 2 weeks overdue with her third calf. She was AI-ed so I know her exact breed date. She is slowly showing signs of wanting to calve - softening, developing her bag. I just don't know if I should be concerned that she is late. Her first two calves were right on schedule. She was bred to an Angus, she is an Angus cross, about 1200 pounds. She is not showing any signs of distress.

I'm answering bc no one else has. I'm not sure I would worry too much. I'd just watch her closely and let nature run it's course if she's not distressed. But I could be wrong.

Two weeks late is not that uncommon. I assume she has "pudding butt" and is bagging up?

How many days to you consider "due"... it varies quite a bit.. In my herd, the average gestation time is 288 days, many go to 295, and I've had one go as long as 302 (a real rarity though)

lsharp143":1m7hjj9p said:
I have a cow that is 2 weeks overdue with her third calf. She was AI-ed so I know her exact breeding date.
She is slowly showing signs of wanting to calve - softening, developing her bag.
I just don't know if I should be concerned that she is late.
I expect she'll be having an extra large calf this weekend. Hope you'll post an update with details when she does calve.
By the way.... :welcome: to the boards.

Son of Butch":2zz6eisq said:
lsharp143":2zz6eisq said:
I have a cow that is 2 weeks overdue with her third calf. She was AI-ed so I know her exact breeding date.
She is slowly showing signs of wanting to calve - softening, developing her bag.
I just don't know if I should be concerned that she is late.
I expect she'll be having an extra large calf this weekend. Hope you'll post an update with details when she does calve.
By the way.... :welcome: to the boards.
...and 10-1 it will be a big lazy male ;-)

Was thinking more along the lines of a pair of Levis for myself and if you win...a huge packet of indigenous Mopanie worms from SA :lol:

Son of Butch--don't google that mopani worm thing--it'll ruin your breakfast. Kinda look like a really mean Catawba worm.

She was AI-ed on 5/26/15. Today is 3/21/16 and still no calf. I did talk to a dairy vet last Friday and he said not to worry. But of course now the concern is going to be the size of the calf. I guess I should expect to have to pull it....maybe it'll be twins. She's not in any distress, slightly larger bag, slightly softer in back but she's been pretty soft in back for weeks. I'll let you all know when it happens. Thanks for your support.

lsharp143":2g5b5k5y said:
She was AI-ed on 5/26/15. Today is 3/21/16 and still no calf. I did talk to a dairy vet last Friday and he said not to worry. But of course now the concern is going to be the size of the calf. I guess I should expect to have to pull it....maybe it'll be twins. She's not in any distress, slightly larger bag, slightly softer in back but she's been pretty soft in back for weeks. I'll let you all know when it happens. Thanks for your support.

The question was asked earlier, but was not answered; Did you have a clean-up bull with her after AI?

Did your cow ever have her calf? I am wondering because my granddaughter's family just lost a calf because it was too large for the cow to birth normally.

Latest posts