too late to spray?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
I've got mostly brambles/briars and small oak/locust saplings along an overgrown fenceline (4k ft worth). Temp right now is 50s-80s (southern Oklahoma). Is it too late to spray the vines? Does basal bark/stump treatment still work in cooler weather? I'm using Remedy/diesel. Thanks for your thoughts/experience.

I would think it is way too late to spray. Generally herbicides work very much better on young active growth. So the spring is ideal.

Bushhogging now could be a good start on the process.

If it was working before, it'll work now if the leaves are still green. If the leaves have started turning, wait until next year.

IMHO, if you want to kill a woody species, right before the sap falls is the best time. A shade late for that here, but might be just right in your area. Idk.

1wlimo":2tzxyq5t said:
Bushhogging now could be a good start on the process.
Some plants, Blackberries for one, brushogging is one of the worst things you can do, according to the soil conservation people, it makes the roots bigger and they are harder to kill with sprays.
I know a man that brushogs woody plants and sprays right along behind the brushog and says that will kill them better than any way ?????? I never tried it that way ???

Bigfoot":2tzxyq5t said:
IMHO, if you want to kill a woody species, right before the sap falls is the best time.
I sprayed some BIG patches of blackberries about a month ago and looks to have gotten a good kill, think I may burn them now to get rid of the woody parts

I've had good luck with Remedy/diesel at all times of the year, except dead of winter. The reason is I haven't sprayed during that time as I usually have them already sprayed around Oct/Nov and cut them down during winter. I hog around thorns when I can during late summer, then come back and basal. Some areas are too thick with them though. So just keep it bush hogged. I'm hoping to be able to address those areas in the near future with something. They are too thick to cut by hand too, just so many of them. Time is a factor. By the time I'd get through the pasture, it would be time to start over on the new sprouts.

interestingly, the product instructions say "may be used year around"...I don't know my botany, but I didn't think much was moving from stems to roots in winter months. I'm waiting for someone to say, "I sprayed my honey locust trees in january and they were dead come April" :)

If you have time to spray than spray. I have sprayed lots of mesquite in the winter using basal bark because that is when I had time. Its also easier. It may not work quite as good as the optimal condition but it works a lot better than doing nothing.

One thing I have learned from spraying brush, mesquites as well as weeds is that a lot of times you are forced to spray when it may not be the best condition but the problem is, a lot of the best condition days are when I can't get to it. Spray when you have the time and keep good notes on what you used and the date. If it doesn't work, don't repeat it next year.

Spraying for brush and trash trees is usually a multi year event.

I have stump and basil sprayed the last few winters with Garlon mixed with diesel with very good results. Done a lot of Autumn Olive with it. Already have 2 1/2 gal bought for this winter. As bird dog stated it is the part of the year when I have time to do it.

Latest posts