Last years calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgefarmer63

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Do most of you separate yearlings from their mothers just prior to the mothers calving again in the spring ?

These yearlings were weaned at 6 months old(Octoberish) . At 8 months old, they were put back in with their mothers for the winter.

My concern was if I left the yearlings in with their mothers, they would push the newborn calf out of the way to get to mom's milk.

Thanks, Mike

We always keep them separated after weaning. They are only put back in the same pasture as the cows at the time for the heifer calves to be exposed to a bull.
Years ago, when I bought my first cow calf pair I weaned the calf, not sure how long but apparently not long enough and put them back together and it started nursing again. We had to get it back out and make sure the new calf got colostrum

We do the same as Ky hills, but if these calves never went back to sucking when they were put back in with the cows, I kind of doubt you will have a problem now. Most cows won't let another calf suck (even her own from an earlier year) once they have a new calf. I am sure there are exceptions to that, but I would just watch them closely, and if you see evidence any of them might let their yearling suck I'd remove the temptation.

There was a time when we had very few cross fences on this place and we would put the heifers back in with the herd after a few months of separation. I don't remember there ever being an issue with a weaned calf sucking again on a cow that had been dried up for several months.

Katpau said:
We do the same as Ky hills, but if these calves never went back to sucking when they were put back in with the cows, I kind of doubt you will have a problem now. Most cows won't let another calf suck (even her own from an earlier year) once they have a new calf. I am sure there are exceptions to that, but I would just watch them closely, and if you see evidence any of them might let their yearling suck I'd remove the temptation.

There was a time when we had very few cross fences on this place and we would put the heifers back in with the herd after a few months of separation. I don't remember there ever being an issue with a weaned calf sucking again on a cow that had been dried up for several months.

That's the case. We have been weaning for two solid months the last 5 or 6 years or so and never had one start trying to nurse again when put back in with their mothers. My belief is the mother is dried up. But as you say, there is always the exception.

One of the heifer yearlings was very agressive in trying to get back with mom at weaning time. She's the one I'm concerned about being a PITA to the mother with her new calf.

Heifers I retained are the only ones that go back - and that's after they've calved. So definitely no sucking. But it is interesting how most of them hook up with their mama, quite often generations of "families" stick together.

I had a calf that I weaned for about 60 days and turned back in with the cows. I do not remember why I did that since it was several years ago, but I do remember that the calf started sucking the cow once they got together. I have not done that since. My heifers do not get with the cows until they are ready to get bred and that is only on the day that they are in heat.

Latest posts