Last sale of the year????

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25":2v5lghr0 said:
Prices are supposed to go up. We hauled some runts in yeasterday and calves in the 550-650 range were selling hot. A lot of 600lbs+ calves went over $1000 a piece. Ship the first batch but hold the second for awhile. Trailer weave calves brought .10 less a pounds than long weaned calves. They don't like them trailer weaned calves up here.
In the grand scheme of things, 10 cents isn't all that much considering the "added value" preconditioning is supposed be about. Pretty easy to burn through a dollar a day per head for "added value". :2cents:

TennesseeTuxedo":495qn0n4 said:
ddd75":495qn0n4 said:
wow. those prices are terrible.

We sell our calves at the barn in Owenton, KY. They posted their results from yesterday's sale here: https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sv_ls163.txt

Pretty soft.

This report is very close to what they are bringing here in Va today. Sat at the sale for about an hour or so through steers in the 5-6 wts. A few were way off, mostly the ones that looked dairy crossed and a few with bad eyes, in the 60's.... but the majority were in the 1.20 to 1.40 range. Bulls were right at 1.00, +/- .10. Saw one group bring right at 1.50 but that was all. Had some other things to get done so didn't stay long. Very discouraging. :cry2: :( :(

1982vett":2di44tt4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2di44tt4 said:
1982vett":2di44tt4 said:
Close enough to the end of the year to take taxes into consideration.

Most of my expenses are done for the year and I'm profitable so in my case any sales add to my adjusted gross income. My tax bracket isn't all that bad but self-employment taxes would trim it 15.35%

Hold the check until January. Just sayin'.

Date of the check is what matters....

That's an interesting thought.....Is it technically not income until you cash the check? I don't know

Banjo":3pmjy0bs said:
1982vett":3pmjy0bs said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3pmjy0bs said:
Hold the check until January. Just sayin'.

Date of the check is what matters....

That's an interesting thought.....Is it technically not income until you cash the check? I don't know

According to IRS, date of check is what matters. There are ways of manipulating this.

I compromised, and hauled off nine. Took the small end to the yard, and kept the big end to feed a while. They were mostly heifers first calves, and didn't weigh great. Market report said they were up for the week at my yard. I was pleased with what they brought. My boat will float a little better going in to spring.

TennesseeTuxedo":3rlkaidg said:
ddd75":3rlkaidg said:
wow. those prices are terrible.

We sell our calves at the barn in Owenton, KY. They posted their results from yesterday's sale here: https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sv_ls163.txt

Pretty soft.
Really surprised at number sold in that sell. We are selling ours in a value added sale on Jan. 4th. Weaned 60 days, 2 shots, cut, heifers guaranteed open, electric tags. Comingled in load lots. Did this last year about .10 over market. Suppose to be 2000 head in this sale, fingers crossed it works out.

I have lost some faith in the vaccinate and vaccinate and vaccinate thing. Sorted, gave first shots, and weaned calves on the same day this year. Have not treated any (yet). Just made sure it was below freezing and walked them once a day.