Land Pride cone seed spreader dissasembly

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Anyone ever had any luck getting the bottom end of one of these cone spreaders apart after a few years of seed and fertlilizer run thru it? Steel plate in the bottom of mine is rusted out (bought new in 2007) Every bolt, nut, set screw, spring pin, and set collar corroded to the adjacent part. (Yep, I rinsed it out good after every use and it still rusted away)

Replacing items 33 thru 36, (available from Landsdowne Moody via Landpride) but even with the drive pins removed from item 1 and from the gearbox output shaft, that #1 part is still stuck tight and can't get too rough with it as the gearbox is pretty fragile.
http://www.manualguru.com/land-pride/fs ... ual/page-6
Suggestions?
$500 for a new spreader versus less than $30 for the parts seemed like a no-brainer--I'm beginning to doubt that logic.
(Why the heck didn't they make that plate out of stainless?)

41 is just a swivel bolt--the assy has to come out the top, off the output shaft and the bearing retainer in output side of the gearbox is just thin cast aluminum--otherwise, I would just have driven the spring pins out and used a slide hammer on the part identified as #1. (#1 is also alum and goes all the way thru everything and slips over and pins to the output shaft)

I misinterpreted the parts your replacing. I see it now , heat is still gonna be your friend with the bolt removed I mentioned before I would attach a come along to pull #1 while you heat and tap it to break the rust seal.

Will give it a try tomorrow, tho have had little luck in the past heating aluminum. (Item #1 is also alum, which is one of the problems--#1 is aluminum, the output shaft is steel......dis-similar metal corrosion.) Pretty sure they didn't coat that output shaft with anti-seize when they assembled it either. It will be when I re-assemble it tho.

After each use I started pouring a half gallon of diesel in at a slow trickle while opening and closing. Made a big difference.

I think they make them to be throw away equipment after so many years. I
Have never had fertilizer in mine only seed and it's still rusting out.

I got it apart today, and without dragging out the torch but for awhile, I thought it was the worst $500 I did not spend.
Took the agitator out of the cone first, which left me with just a 1/2" hole in the top of the shaft I needed to pull. Drove the spring pin out of the subshaft LandPride calls #1. The one CLOSEST to the bottom of the cone. Got to looking close at the bottom end and saw the slinger itself was welded to a 2nd set collar and that collar was pinned to the output shaft with a 3/8 spring pin. That slinger plate is convex shaped, but right next to the shaft, it's flat where it's welded to the collar below it. I was able to use a couple of narrow steel wedges tapped in to push up on that sub shaft as well as a slide hammer from inside the cone, alternately tapping the wedges in and gently using the slide hammer. Too rough with the slide hammer and you can rip the output shaft bearing right out of the thin cast alum gearbox. This isn't the exact unit I have but this part is close enough, so here it is if anyone ever feels like trying it.
I hope it is big enough to read and see.

Now just waiting for the part to come in, tho I really should just make a new plate out of stainless when that part comes in to use as a pattern.
Thanks for the help M5.!

Latest posts