Land prices Falling?

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I think land prices have been falling a little in my area. Appraiser recently told me as much as 200 per acre. Has anyone else noticed this in there area?

denoginnizer":39wicwnq said:
I think land prices have been falling a little in my area. Appraiser recently told me as much as 200 per acre. Has anyone else noticed this in there area?

Where you at. I am thinking that's high. I may want to buy.

Land ain't that cheap in AL.

Around here land for development has just stopped, so it is hard to tell how much the price has been affected. Good tillable ground is holding steady. With high grain prices I guess it will stay about the same. Seems like not many land sales of any kind. A lot of houses sitting empty. Alot of houses for sale.

Larry

Land here has slowed, but still too high to raise cattle and pay out. Most of our land only about 50% can be used. No farm land. Most large tracks have already been sold. The taxes are still going up.

denoginnizer":1fph6moo said:

It fell like a turd in a well in the 80's when the S&L's collapsed .

For those of you that don't know I a one of those Dreaded appraiser. In the area I work in I have seen land prices drop or at least stand still. In 2004 and 2005 you could pay between $2,300 and $2,500 for 70 acres of good pasture. Ofcourse there are some exception to this and it is called , location, location, locaton. I have seen data from recent land sales that show good pasture land around 70 acres is anywhere from $1,600 to $2,000. Now this is just in my area, every region is differnt.

We don't have development around here, just pure black Iowa dirt. Prices are going up all the time, doubled in the last few years. I'm waiting for the bubble to burst but it definitely has not happened yet.

We sure haven't seen it here in Central Texas. We sold 35+ million worth of ranches last year. This year is starting out just as strong. Still have lots of buyers in the market, and a lot of 1031 exchange money.

Paid $3750 per acre for a tract of central Texas scrub brush 2 years . Nothing but cedar, post oak and bushes. It was on the tax rolls at $2000 per acre. Had it cleared, put a fence around it and sprigged it in coastal. It is now on the tax rolls at $5,250 and I have to file for an ag exemption for 5 consecutive years before the exemption can be issued. :mad: :mad:

Latest posts