Land Price Trend ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I spoke with a realtor last week. He said that sales were very slow, but most folks still expected farm land prices to increase over the next couple years. The only recent sale I know of was to a very big operator. I assume he is spreading OH across more acres.

What is the price trend in your area?

Still very strong around here with lots of buyers. Helps to be just south of DFW area I suppose. About anything that will grow cedar and brush will bring $5000 an acre.

I think the trend is steady-->down. I don't look for a collapse, but corn is down from its' high. As long as cattle stay at current prices, pasture will stay strong. Probably a different market in Indiana than most of the board members are used to.

My part of Central Florida is being sold to build houses that you can't drive cars between. It is sad. My paradise will be surrounded by city folks. I wish the developers would get to the back of my once 5 acre minimum neighborhood sooner than later so I can still get something before the prices elsewhere sky rocket. I am afraid I will be stuck in the city life. :yuck:

john250":mojenyex said:
I think the trend is steady-->down. I don't look for a collapse, but corn is down from its' high. As long as cattle stay at current prices, pasture will stay strong.

Are big grain farmers or outside investors driving the Indiana price trend ?

What the what?! How on earth can prices be 7-10 k/acre for anything other than small lots for subdivisions?
Y'all need to come to upstate NY. Couple or so grand an acre will get you a nice spread. And with climate change (yeah, I know, it doesn't exist), our growing season is getting longer. (Spent the weekend in the 80s). Better hurry, though. The Amish (and Mennonites) have figured it out and are buying a lot of land up.

Seriously, though, how the heck can you farm on land that costs 10k/acre? Cash crops of a certain aroma? Chickens that lay golden eggs?

I gave my land in Northern NY to my brothers. To many laws and regulations to want to live in NY for me. Taxes are ridiculous. All those city folks are moving here, causing all this urban infill as they call it.

boondocks":21jvmgjm said:
What the what?! How on earth can prices be 7-10 k/acre for anything other than small lots for subdivisions?
Y'all need to come to upstate NY. Couple or so grand an acre will get you a nice spread. And with climate change (yeah, I know, it doesn't exist), our growing season is getting longer. (Spent the weekend in the 80s). Better hurry, though. The Amish (and Mennonites) have figured it out and are buying a lot of land up.

Central MN land is also available for two grand an acre. Some dirt surfing boys come up from corn country to buy or rent a bunch of ground periodically. They often get drowned out or get froze out for a couple years in a row and then they have to go back to where the revenue insurance pays. Not great land here for row crop unless you irrigate in a sandy area - - usually to grow potatoes. The heavier ground does grow good forage, but that is too much work for most.

I bet the Amish & Mennonites are willing to provide the labor to put livestock back on the land - - and thus make the numbers work in upstate NY ?

Real cattle country here is worth $300-500 historiclly and is currently selling for $1,000-1,500. It runs about 10-12 acres per cow.
Farm ground runs around $30,000 per acre and has for a long enough time that it's not really a trend anymore. If you can find a bigger parcel sometimes you can get down into the twenties but there's not much of that left.

Stocker Steve":2f7chidy said:
john250":2f7chidy said:
I think the trend is steady-->down. I don't look for a collapse, but corn is down from its' high. As long as cattle stay at current prices, pasture will stay strong.

Are big grain farmers or outside investors driving the Indiana price trend ?

Most sales are to "neighbors".

Unless you want something within 20 minutes or so of a larger town, here you can buy a piece even as small as 60 acres for 2000$ an acre. Good bottom land will be higher and like I said something in a location that could possibly be sub decided and developed will be high. But for a good place that will run a pair to 3 acres you can have about anything you want for 2000$ an acre, and of course the bigger prices will get cheaper, if you want 500 to 1000 acres you can find some for 1000$ to 1500$ that will be pretty nice. I feel like this is a pretty affordable place to buy land to run cows on when you can buy 3 acre per pair land for 2000$ and less.

denvermartinfarms":2o2e1zh7 said:
I feel like this is a pretty affordable place to buy land to run cows on when you can buy 3 acre per pair land for 2000$ and less.

I know the Kiwis were buying in Missouri so I thought it must be a good value. Is the price being bid up ?

How long is the grazing season with a pair on 3 acres ?

Latest posts