Land Price Trend ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":36xbezam said:
denvermartinfarms":36xbezam said:
I feel like this is a pretty affordable place to buy land to run cows on when you can buy 3 acre per pair land for 2000$ and less.

I know the Kiwis were buying in Missouri so I thought it must be a good value. Is the price being bid up ?

How long is the grazing season with a pair on 3 acres ?
Prices are not really getting bid up, there is alot of land over priced that's been for sale for 3 years or more and it's just not selling. People who are buying land to put cows on wont pay it and when houses were selling good everyone way over developed and there no need for that now. The grazing season is April though October, that's how I figure my hay feeding, November through march. That's a rough idea, sometimes you can get in to November without feeding.

Stocker Steve":15gyn3nu said:
boondocks":15gyn3nu said:
What the what?! How on earth can prices be 7-10 k/acre for anything other than small lots for subdivisions?
Y'all need to come to upstate NY. Couple or so grand an acre will get you a nice spread. And with climate change (yeah, I know, it doesn't exist), our growing season is getting longer. (Spent the weekend in the 80s). Better hurry, though. The Amish (and Mennonites) have figured it out and are buying a lot of land up.

Central MN land is also available for two grand an acre. Some dirt surfing boys come up from corn country to buy or rent a bunch of ground periodically. They often get drowned out or get froze out for a couple years in a row and then they have to go back to where the revenue insurance pays. Not great land here for row crop unless you irrigate in a sandy area - - usually to grow potatoes. The heavier ground does grow good forage, but that is too much work for most.

I bet the Amish & Mennonites are willing to provide the labor to put livestock back on the land - - and thus make the numbers work in upstate NY ?

Some have livestock but a lot have crops. Seems pretty mixed. They are coming up from Pa. Land went up there due to fracking so a lot of them pulled up stakes and came here.

I think some of the southern folk would in fact get froze out here, but I would die of heatstroke where they are, so I guess we're even :lol:
Just can't fathom trying to make any sort of a living farming on land that's 7-10k/acre. If you can, more power to ya, I guess!

Stocker Steve":2ct0nps4 said:
boondocks":2ct0nps4 said:
Better hurry, though. The Amish (and Mennonites) have figured it out and are buying a lot of land up.

So what is the price trend in upstate NY?

Seems to not make many big swings in any direction. Everyone says it's going up but I don't really see that. Seems pretty steady. We are 5 hrs from NYC, so outside of the "weekend getaway" market. Very rural area. (It always cracks me up how folks hear "upstate New York" and still think "urban." )

Its going down here. Anything 75 acres and up is considered a big place here and the big places are getting cheaper. The small places are still asking 2000+ an acre close to town but they are holding on to them for a long time. If your selling a big place better plan to sit on it for a couple years.

Around here it's expensive... Our 50-60 (usable) acres would be near $800,000, a fair bit is cropable, and has gravity irrigation, grapes or orchard potential. There's a 6 acre place with a modest house for $450,000... some bigger places that'll hold 60 cows on pasture are about $1,000,000. Ranch across the river you see in my pictures runs about 100 head and I doubt you'd get that under 1.5 mil.

Unless you have cash in hand and don't have to pay a bank, places here are pretty hopeless to buy and make a living on. That being said with the high prices, anything is for sale at a price, but many take a LONG time to sell.

Nesikep":1evu8r8g said:
Around here it's expensive... Our 50-60 (usable) acres would be near $800,000, a fair bit is cropable, and has gravity irrigation, grapes or orchard potential. There's a 6 acre place with a modest house for $450,000... some bigger places that'll hold 60 cows on pasture are about $1,000,000. Ranch across the river you see in my pictures runs about 100 head and I doubt you'd get that under 1.5 mil.

Unless you have cash in hand and don't have to pay a bank, places here are pretty hopeless to buy and make a living on. That being said with the high prices, anything is for sale at a price, but many take a LONG time to sell.

Over priced so takes a long time to get price down to what it's worth!!

I haven't heard of much land selling around here lately, but 10 acres would cost you $10,000 per acre ten years ago. And no, I don't think anyone expects to pay for it with crops or livestock (except for maybe a few who haven't given up on alpacas).

Rafter S":1ubdc3h3 said:
I haven't heard of much land selling around here lately, but 10 acres would cost you $10,000 per acre ten years ago. And no, I don't think anyone expects to pay for it with crops or livestock (except for maybe a few who haven't given up on alpacas).
You aren't that far from me, and your land prices are more than 4x what they are here in my county (except over by Lake Livingston)
I bought 17.4 ac adjacent to me in late 2008 for $1915/ac and figured I paid too much.

greybeard":31738uqx said:
Rafter S":31738uqx said:
You aren't that far from me, and your land prices are more than 4x what they are here in my county (except over by Lake Livingston)
I bought 17.4 ac adjacent to me in late 2008 for $1915/ac and figured I paid too much.

I'm between Houston and Bryan/College Station. I think that's probably what's driving the prices here. I hate to say it, but the time may come when I'll have to move if I want to keep having cattle.

I'm 45 miles from downtown Houston, but further East than you--in the piney woods. Not much land left here for developmen due to the National forest--that may be what keeps prices down. You have better soil over that way too--anywhere West of I45 is better cattle country than here..

(from Beef Daily)

Ernie Goss, who holds the Jack A. MacAllister Chair in Regional Economics at Creighton University's Heider College of Business, conducts a monthly survey of bank executives in a 10-state region to keep a finger on the pulse of the rural economy. The most recent survey showed some concerns.

"The farmland and ranchland price index for September slumped to 33.7, its lowest level since March 2009 and down from 41.4 in August," he says. An index rating of 50 is growth neutral—anything above 50 is positive growth; below 50 is negative growth.

And it's not just land values. The September farm equipment sales index slumped to a record low 17.6, he says, and the index has been below growth neutral for 14 months.

While the average farmland price index came in at 33.7, there was a wide range in the 10 states surveyed. Nebraska reported the lowest number at 23.8, followed by Illinois at 31.1, Wyoming at 31.2 and South Dakota at 32.8. On the other end of the scale, North Dakota reported a robust 65.1, Colorado came in at 55.4 and Missouri came in at 54.1. The states in the middle were Kansas at 38.7 and Iowa at 34.1.

According to Close, we can expect land prices to continue to drop, but how much will vary widely. He says Rabo AgriFinance analysts think farmers need to take about 4 million acres out of production for the corn market to find a balance. "If you bought a farm at something in excess of $10,000/acre, you ain't gonna be one of them," he says.

I bring this up not to make corn farmers feel any worse than they already do, but to remind cattle producers to be wary of falling into the same trap.

Recreational demand for ranchland has skewed the market upward for many years and that's not likely to change. But as farmland values continue to plummet, it's likely we'll see a similar dynamic in ranchland values.

With record high prices for bred cows and heifers, a drop in other input costs—feed, real estate, you name it—is welcome and essential if cattle producers want to keep their operations above growth neutral.

214 acres of crop land sold a couple of weeks ago for $6,000 an acre.
They over doubled farm land value on our property taxes, and wouldn't you know it, they over doubled the taxes too.

They price of land is going up so high, it is going to be impossible for farmers to purchase land.
If you didn't already own it or inherit it, then it is going to make it really tough.

If we don't get Obama's group out of the government, I feel that they will try to gain ownership of most of the land in the US.
If they can control the food source, then they can control the people.