labor problem 24hrs?

Help Support CattleToday:

DavidLee

Reaction score
Brangus heifer is laboring for 2nd evening today and excretes a redish brown mucus with her contractions. She seems a little worn out but not going down(weak). Is this going on too long?

I called vet already on the way. as for explaining myself , didnt know shed been in labor that long until arriving home this evening thaks for advise but you keep your presumptions.

You need a vet, if a cow is having contractions and something doesn't happen in an hour then you need to be checking her and if you don't know what you are looking for you need to call the vet right away. If the heifer lives she will probably need antibotics because it sounds like the calf may have been dead a while. She needs some help. I hope your cow and calf are ok but I am afraid you waited to long. And yes Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle is a very good book . You can buy it on Amazon.com.

I 'm not going to judge..... But from past experience 2 hours is too long if no progress is being made. I have seen them go longer with out difficulty and I have seem them circle once and the next thing you know a calf slides out. You just don't know.
Let us know what happens. She is probably worn out and will need plenty of antibiotics.
Good luck.

Good grief!!!!!!!!! Two days? Poor cow.. the prognosis is not good. Hopefully your vet can at least save the cow.

I won't presume.. but was someone supposed to be watching the cattle for you?

DavidLee":3gz8zsbp said:
Brangus heifer is laboring for 2nd evening today and excretes a redish brown mucus with her contractions. She seems a little worn out but not going down(weak). Is this going on too long?
didnt know shed been in labor that long until arriving home this evening thaks for advise but you keep your presumptions.

How did you know she had been in labor this long? The time frame doesn;t seem to match up.

I had a cow with two front hooves sticking out her butt walk around and graze for at least three hours. Occasionaly she would lay down, but wouldnt stay down long before she got up and went back to eating.

Personally I think if you use a set hourly time frame as a rule you run just as much chance of hurting things as you do of helping.

The vet came and we pulled the calf. Yes it (the calf)did not make it .The cow is fine, no trama according to the vet. The calf was breech but also had deformed fetlocks not allowing the calf to enter the birth canal.
This happened becuse the cow which was breed unknowingly at 9 months she's 18 months old . She didn't labor as long as first thought according to vet. The calf was full term though. We did move this heifer out of the heard area to another pasture at 10 months old and never thought that she would of been bred that soon. The vet says thats the angus in her. Most likley the first cycle.Thanks to everyone for the advice it was most helpful to us.
This board is a great place to find knowledge. Just don't be to harsh or judgemental on questions that to an expert might seem to be silly or stupid. You may just scare off the person asking it from ever asking again. There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.thanks to everyone again. David Lee

DavidLee":3sr5k4c1 said:
the posts from the individual from East Tennesee have been removed.What happenend to them?

He was banned and his posts removed

DavidLee":3lk7fkwt said:
the posts from the individual from East Tennesee have been removed.What happenend to them?

Good question. Either he deleted them, the mods deleted them, or perhaps he was banned.

Katherine

Davidlee,

You don't need to be afraid to ask, there will always be someone willing to help, but....

ignorance is no excuse when owning livestock, all of us that own any livestock or even a pet has a responsibility towards them, part of that responsibility is to empower yourself with knowledge so you can look after them. Experience will come with time, but knowledge can be aquired out of books, start reading.

KNERSIE
I never was afraid to ask just put off at the tone of a poster who was "trying to help?", as for ignorance that I am guilty of and do read as much as possible. :roll: ...So to you I will say I'll keep reading and learning.

DavidLee":17d65dtc said:
KNERSIE
I never was afraid to ask just put off at the tone of a poster who was "trying to help?", as for ignorance that I am guilty of and do read as much as possible. The situation I am in is raising a small commercial cow/calf heard (50/50 venture) on old family land with a much older realitive (father in law) who "knows the bussiness" his family farmed here for 70+ years but is not as informative on some things as he could or should be, due to age and memory I suppose hence I've relied upon him for alot of my knowledge and sometimes you just dont argue with the in laws...So to you I will say I'll keep reading and learning.

I never saw the first few posts that got deleted, don't even know who posted it, but I can guess.

In a prolonged labour situation interference too early can indeed cause a lot of problems, but waiting indefinately won't help either. My method is as follows:

As soon as I see some indication that the birth is eminent, I check the time, after that you should see progress every hour, as soon as an hour passes without visible progress, its time to put a long glove on and feel whether you can feel two front feet and a nose (soles of the hooves will be facing down if its front feet) Also make sure you only feel two front feet and a nose. If you do feel this give her more time, after another hour there should be progress, if not its time to help before the head and tongue swells too much.

If you don't feel the two front feet and a nose and you are not confident enough in correcting a malpresentation, call your vet ASAP.

Davidlee,
I understand where you are coming from the in- law thing.
I am the daughter in law. I have learned many things these past 12 years and if there is a few things i know is
1 bite the bull by the horns especially if you own in the herd. We did the share thing and that was tough. It might be time to invest in some of your own cattle. That is what we did. When we got controlling interest in the cattle we were able to make some changes. Health programs, animal husbandry etc.
2. your wife I'm assuming your the husband, needs to be the go between between you and the in laws. To many times i stood up for my husband and now i pay the price. Too many times i fought for our herd on what to do and i now pay the price. I will always be the in law or out law depending on how you look at it and he will always be their son no matter what.
I'm an irish red head with the temper to go with it at times.
3. it's never to late to start a succession plan. And it should be done asap. Especially if there are other siblings who farm or do not farm. It spells trouble if you don't. Succession plans plan for the future, who gets what and spells out the expectations of the older gen., younger gen, siblings. It plans for the tax man, what happens if they die, if you and your family want out, and so much more. Doing this is hard for the older generation but has to be done.
4 Talk to your local ag office on how to start this if you have not all ready.
Good luck, I feel for you on this issue.

DavidLee,

There are some that upon weaning the heifers from the group and seperating them will give a shot of Lutalyse to ensure that if they were bred at a young age they flush out and clean out to avoid these problems in the future.

Sorry for your loss, but take it as a learning experience and move forward... no sense wasting energy looking backwards once you figure out what to do differently the next time.

Good luck with her and I hope she isn't injured or get an infection that would prevent her from calving again for you - should you decide to keep her.

Latest posts