LA200 and pregnant cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I responded to a post, the subject in part of the post was about LA200 causing abortion in cattle. I read the label on my bottle and it said basicaly no real effects.

Well last fast I treated a cow that should have been bred, no preg check, with one dose of LA 200 for the early stages of pink eye. Last week I saw her in standing heat, a year eating expensive hay for free. (she is currently for sale in the local paper). But LA200 and no calf problems.... just a coincidence? My bull only had 9 head to cover at that time.

Alan

I use a LA 200 equivalent all the time on bred cows and have never had any problems.

Non-sterile handling of syringes and needles are much more likely to cause problems.

could it be that the fever that was the reason to use the LA 200 in the first place caused the abortion and not the LA 200?

I know that the pink-eye in ALAN's case wouldn't cause it, but in the previous thread I think its a possibility that it was the ailment and not the treatment that was to blame.

KNERSIE":36g74ngq said:
I use a LA 200 equivalent all the time on bred cows and have never had any problems.

Non-sterile handling of syringes and needles are much more likely to cause problems.

We use La200 or Maxim200 also and have never had a problem's .

rattler

It was my post. The main cause to the abortions was fever. I checked the cows that aborted and their noses were peeling.
I will be buying a thermometer, I don't want to use our personal one because it won't taste real well later.LOL!!
If your bull only had 9 cows to cover she might not have been agreeable with him. Our virgin bull covered 11 out of 12 head this year.
Every once in awhile you get one that won't stand still. We always give our open cows another chance and if they don't rebreed then they go down the road.

Alan":23e98c2z said:
About 3 weeks ago I responded to a post, the subject in part of the post was about LA200 causing abortion in cattle. I read the label on my bottle and it said basicaly no real effects.

Well last fast I treated a cow that should have been bred, no preg check, with one dose of LA 200 for the early stages of pink eye. Last week I saw her in standing heat, a year eating expensive hay for free. (she is currently for sale in the local paper). But LA200 and no calf problems.... just a coincidence? My bull only had 9 head to cover at that time.

Alan

Maybe just me but I have had better luck with Excenel on pink eye.

Latest posts