Kubota 70/40 vs John deere 5403

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar p

Reaction score
Kubota 70/40. 62 pto h/p 70 engine h/p vs John deere 5403 65 pto h/p 74 engine h/p. John deere is $500 cheaper. what do you think? These are brand new tractors.

I think that 10, 15, 20 years from now that the John Deere will have a much better resale value.

the kubota has a lot of hydraulic drive components that take a lot of usual wear and tear out of the tractor and the machinery that it runs. i have a M9000 with a hydraulic shuttle (can shift foreward to reverse or nutral with out touching the clutch) and a hydraulic actuator for the PTO....has saved me more than a few sets of shear bolts on the old poop spreader....slow start to pick up slower than a clutch can give you....Drive em and see what you like. There aren't enough kubotas used for sale around here....people who get them are still using the heck out of them. The front end loader on mine is amazing....power galore and real rapid response and dump time....

If you are going to be doing alot of front end loader work the Kubota would be my choice because it has a shuttle transmission, the 5403 I think only comes with a standard tranny that requires complete stops for shifting between forward and reverse which equals sore knees at the end of the day.

oscar p":1vut5v3s said:
Kubota 70/40. 62 pto h/p 70 engine h/p vs John deere 5403 65 pto h/p 74 engine h/p. John deere is $500 cheaper. what do you think? These are brand new tractors.

It really depends on what work you want to do with the tractor.
As others have said, the Deere is a good bet to retain more value. Put one in the classifieds and your phone will ring.

The internet chat boards like this one have some derogatory comments about the __03 model tractors. They are definitely "stripper" models. If they were cars, the doors would be optional. Deere has clearly made a decision to have something to sell the price conscious buyer. That could impact the resale of those machines.

Kubota gives some features as standard that Deere doesn't. Mostly electronics.

Kubota seems like they are making progress all the time, and they are a company which will be around, like Deere. Kubota resale will likely improve over time.

I made the Deere/Kubota comparison a couple years ago and bought Deere. For what it's worth.

I thought the equivalent John Deere was the 5425 to the Kubota 70/40.

2 weeks ago when I priced the 5425 vs. the 7040, the JD was $5k higher. I went with the 7040 with 4x4, loader and cab.

For MY money the 7040 was/is the better deal.

Kubota is the leader in hydraulics. You can't find another kind of tractor with the quick response a Kubota will do. Kubotas here hold their value well but the hard core Deere people will pay dearly for a Deere.

Nowland Farms":hcext6vg said:

2 weeks ago when I priced the 5425 vs. the 7040, the JD was $5k higher. I went with the 7040 with 4x4, loader and cab.

I ask the man ad the johndeere place I wanted at least a 60 h/p pto tractor, he told me the 5403 was as close as he could get to a 60 h/p pto and the 5403 was 65 h/p.

bubchub":3rovt9si said:
Kubota is the leader in hydraulics. You can't find another kind of tractor with the quick response a Kubota will do. Kubotas here hold their value well but the hard core Deere people will pay dearly for a Deere.

Kubota is definitely not the leader in hydraulics. If you buy a better John Deere (than the one mentioned above) you will get a closed center hydraulic pump that only runs when it needs to. Lot's more fuel efficient than an open center system.

If you will check the Kubota home page when they do the comparisons between the M series Kubota and the JD 6020 series, Kubota "forgets" to mention or even compare the type of hydraulic system between the two brands. why would they want to show that JD had the better system?

Yes JD's cost more but their resale value is higher and they are a better machine.

oscar p":28l453bn said:
Nowland Farms":28l453bn said:

I ask the man ad the johndeere place I wanted at least a 60 h/p pto tractor, he told me the 5403 was as close as he could get to a 60 h/p pto and the 5403 was 65 h/p.
If you will check out the JD 6420 and drive it you may not want to settle for less.

What world are you guys living in where the Kubota's don't hold their resale value? Check the newspapers and you'll see asking prices for Kubota's very much in line with the Deere values. Used green machines may sell for a little more when they are 10 yrs old, but you also paid alot more for it when it was new. No one around here is buying John Deere's except the old farmers who refuse to look at another make or city folks who do no comparision shopping and want others to think they are real farmers so they buy what the real farmers are using. I looked at all the major brands a few years back and decided on the Kubota 3710. Maybe we just have a crappy Deere dealer around here, but unless you want a 100HP or bigger, they make it appear as though you are wasting their time.

Probably not that much difference in all the new trators, but I definately would'nt let fear of being able to sell it down the road keep me from buying a Kubota.

I sure like my JD 6300. It is 75 horse and can do anything a 60 horse can do and more. Always buy a little more tractor than you need.

When did Kubota start making good tractors? I'm interested in one, but if I have to, I'll spend the extra money on a Deere to get a good tractor.

My dad has a small Deere, a 35 hp. He was doing some work around his new house with it and the contractor was using a 40 hp Kubota. The contractor was having problems picking up a large stone, but my dad picked it up like it weighed 100 pounds. This was about 6-7 years ago.

I ask the man ad the johndeere place I wanted at least a 60 h/p pto tractor, he told me the 5403 was as close as he could get to a 60 h/p pto and the 5403 was 65 h/p

John Deere makes maybe three different Models in the 65 PTO HP range..
- The 5403 is the lightest, least featured model in that range that JD offers. It is 74HP engine, 65HP PTO.
- The 5425 is 81HP engine, 65HP PTO. This is what I would call a "mid-feature" machine.
- The 6215 is 90HP enigine, 72HP PTO. This is JD's top of the line in that rough size category.

Each offers features that may be of interest to you based on how you anticipate using your machine. The more "hard core" farming you intend to do, the more features you might be willing to pay for. Just be sure you are comparing a JD model with equivalent features to the Kubota.

Hard to say which is "right" for you verses the Kubota. I bought one in this same size range a few years ago. I went with the Farmtrac 675 (72HP engine, 65HP PTO). It features a Perkins diesel (which I really value) and was heavier with higher hydraulic lift capacities than the Kubota. Price was several thousand less as well.

EDIT:
After looking at the JD website, I think they would consider the 5425 to be their equivalent model to the Kubota 7040.

Latest posts