Kioti tractors.

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Ok folks, needing a new tractor, closest dealer sells Kioti brand.... the price is right compared to botas, and Deeres, so...looking for imput of all kinds , good and bad about the this tractor as well as reliability, parts availabilty, prices etc.
Seems to have lots of bells and whistles.

Thanks to all! :cboy:

Medic, Friend of mine just bought a Mahindra 35 HP he's got small acreage, but a heck of a lot of bang for the buck!!I was immpressed with the little Indian Machine.Lacked power steering though.

Does this dealer carry parts for the tractor in stock? I know a man who bought an Asian manufactured tractor. Parts for it are very expensive and have to be shipped from a dealer 300 miles away.

Have a DK 50 dang good tractor bought it new in 2002. My only complaint is it rides rough. But all the new short coupled ones ride rough. Oil filter is kinda a pain to change also. The 65 has the same perkins engine as Massey. Ihave had no problems on parts just neede filters and I have used it in the hay fields. Since there are no American made tractors have to shop for the best value, I have been 95% pleased none are perfect.

Kioti tractors have great support and have the capacity to produce 40,000 tractors a year. They have an excellent support staff and are building a quality dealer network. Also realize not all dealers are equal so one bad apple tends to get published.
Kioti tractors come with all the bells a whistles, not stripped like other manufacturers. Kioti is a good choice for someone wanting a tractor and a company they can depend on being around for a longtime.

Hey Iron peddler...I live very close to you....Just the other side of the state line. can I assume you may know a dealer or two in the area?

They tractors are made in China?

Yep perkins in my humble opinion makes a fine engine. thus a plus for any tractor tha tcarries one. :cboy:

Medic24":axspmh3z said:
Hey Iron peddler...I live very close to you....Just the other side of the state line. can I assume you may know a dealer or two in the area?

They tractors are made in China?

Yep perkins in my humble opinion makes a fine engine. thus a plus for any tractor tha tcarries one. :cboy:

Made in South Korea

My father bought a kioti last year. He hasn't had any problems. He let me use it in the hay fields. Had a nice slow gear for my old baler. Good luck.

Damien

Medic24":m7hb7e2q said:
Odd how they all look the same aint it...The Koreans, the Chinese, and the Kabotu's and the Kioti's.......lol ;-) :cboy:

Yep all gray market tractors. They are trying to do the same thing they did with all the imports years ago. Remember when they were hockey boxes and couldn't find parts for their cars? It will be years before the quality of these things reaches where it needs to be as an everyday work tool.

Only the 65 has a Perkins engine. The rest use the Kioti motor. I know a couple of people who bought these gray market tractors and swore they were the best thing since (fill in the blank) for the first year or two. Then things started to happen and parts were two months to get. There is also more to a tractor than just the motor. Running gear, hydraulics are VERY important. Even the Kubota owners are new. Most of the original Kubota owners would not buy another even though I am sure the new ones are much better and they have been around for 20 years now.

I have four Massey's and a Ford. I have a new Massey and it is incredible how much they have cheaped out on here and there compared to my 1966 Massey. Stamped metal instead of forged all over. They are 66, 73, 76, 82, and the new one. They are all still original with the exception of routine maintenance items. They all start right up and are ready to work on any day. I challenge ANY gray market tractors to be able to do this in 20, 30, or even 40 years.

Do yourself a favor, go Deere, New Holland, Case, or Massey if you plan to work it hard and keep it a long time. These will more than make up for the few thousand you will save upfront on the gray market tractors.

Oh one other thing. I am pretty sure some of the newer smaller Deere's have Isusu motors.

JMHO

flaboy":amuww0vf said:
Medic24":amuww0vf said:
Odd how they all look the same aint it...The Koreans, the Chinese, and the Kabotu's and the Kioti's.......lol ;-) :cboy:

Yep all gray market tractors. They are trying to do the same thing they did with all the imports years ago. Remember when they were hockey boxes and couldn't find parts for their cars? It will be years before the quality of these things reaches where it needs to be as an everyday work tool.

Only the 65 has a Perkins engine. The rest use the Kioti motor. I know a couple of people who bought these gray market tractors and swore they were the best thing since (fill in the blank) for the first year or two. Then things started to happen and parts were two months to get. There is also more to a tractor than just the motor. Running gear, hydraulics are VERY important. Even the Kubota owners are new. Most of the original Kubota owners would not buy another even though I am sure the new ones are much better and they have been around for 20 years now.

I have four Massey's and a Ford. I have a new Massey and it is incredible how much they have cheaped out on here and there compared to my 1966 Massey. Stamped metal instead of forged all over. They are 66, 73, 76, 82, and the new one. They are all still original with the exception of routine maintenance items. They all start right up and are ready to work on any day. I challenge ANY gray market tractors to be able to do this in 20, 30, or even 40 years.

Do yourself a favor, go Deere, New Holland, Case, or Massey if you plan to work it hard and keep it a long time. These will more than make up for the few thousand you will save upfront on the gray market tractors.

Oh one other thing. I am pretty sure some of the newer smaller Deere's have Isusu motors.

JMHO

Interesting when all the good tractors you named are made in China,Turkey,Poland, there are no tractors made in the US. Unless I am terribly mistaken the smaller Deeres have a Yanmir diesel.

And the tractors you mentioned are not grey market. A grey market tractor is like a Massey 565 Versus a 265 the 565 was marketed in Europe with a cab. If you go to a Massey dealer and ask him for parts he looks at you like that dog stairing in the victrola.

Caustic Burno":1uqf1rzc said:
flaboy":1uqf1rzc said:

Interesting when all the good tractors you named are made in China,Turkey,Poland, there are no tractors made in the US. Unless I am terribly mistaken the smaller Deeres have a Yanmir diesel.

And the tractors you mentioned are not grey market. A grey market tractor is like a Massey 565 Versus a 265 the 565 was marketed in Europe with a cab. If you go to a Massey dealer and ask him for parts he looks at you like that dog stairing in the victrola.

Well if you read my post you will see I never said any of the good tractors were made in the USA. That statement should prompt a response.

You are correct the motor in some of the Deere "home owner" tractors like the 3120 and 4115 are indeed made in Japan with Yanmar motors. I got it confused with the Duramax Isusu motor. I should have qualified my statement with "real man" tractors not compacts. For your information, a gray market tractor is one that is made for use in one country (Korea, China, Japan) but imported to another (USA). Yes, most of the manufacturers I mentioned have plants all over the world (called globalization). Now this should ruffle some feathers, mainly because they can do it better, faster, and cheaper than in the US. These countries actually have people who don't mind working for a living. The difference is that these tractors are built to US standards for use in the USA.

I do own one gray market tractor by the true definition of the term. It is a MF285 that was manufactured in France for use in France and some how got imported here as a parts tractor. It was completely rebuilt and I bought it before I knew its history.

You are correct again about going in and asking for parts for a 500 series Massey. Most will give you a funny look and this is because it is a gray tractor per my original statement. Hard to get parts for tractors not specifically designed for the US. I have a hard time with my 285 because it carries a S/N from France and not a US S/N. A good dealer has no problem as he knows to look for US 285 parts as they are the same.

I have one made in Poland, one made in Canada, the one from France, and I didn't bother to look to see where the new one was built because it was made for US sale. The main difference here is that they all with the exception of the France one were built for use in the US, hence they are not gray tractors like the ones I originally mentioned. Now with that said, some of the newer models showing up are being built to be used and sold in the US. A REAL tractor man will still call them Gray Tractors.

BTW I said it was Just My Honest Opinion. Opinion, Opinion, Opinion, not fact or fiction. I would hope that someone who asked for information would do his own research regardless of the subject before making a decision.

You are the only one got his feathers ruffled. If a tractor is being manufactured overseas and marketed in the US at a dealer it is not a grey market tractor as you stated. Grey market tractors in the US are again tractors made for import to other countries. As far as your Massey 285 it has a Perkins A4236 Diesel which is in the 265, 275, 285, 295 yard tractors as you stated, with different injection to achieve the different HP.

Caustic Burno":324zw0vc said:
You are the only one got his feathers ruffled. If a tractor is being manufactured overseas and marketed in the US at a dealer it is not a grey market tractor as you stated. Grey market tractors in the US are again tractors made for import to other countries. As far as your Massey 285 it has a Perkins A4236 Diesel which is in the 265, 275, 285, 295 yard tractors as you stated, with different injection to achieve the different HP.

Nope no fowl on this end. I have nothing to get ruffled about as I already own 5 of the best ever made. I do need to correct your statement "Grey market tractors in the US are again tractors made for import to other countries." Gray market tractors " are tractors built for use in the country of manufacture, but imported to a second country for use there." Just because there is a dealer in the US selling a particular tractor doesn't mean it is not a gray market tractor. Kubota is still considered a gray market tractor even though they have been in the US for over 20 years. They even have a list of a couple of hundred gray market Kubota's on their web site.

On the Massey, the 265, 275, 285, 295 have different motors, 215, 248, 318, 248 respectively. Oh and they are not "yard tractors", they are Ag tractors. All are A4 blocks though.

MY opinion is they are all gray market if they are not one of the big four or five. ;-)

A4-212 / A4-236 / A4-248 Engine

Late MF165 (A4-212 eng.), MF168, 175, 178, 185, 188
265, 275, 290, 365, 375, 390, 390T, 398, 565, 575, 590, 675
690, 698T, 3050, 3060, 3065, 3070, ITALIAN MF174, 184
194, 274, 284, 294, 373, 393

Caustic Burno":2aawm3qy said:
A4-212 / A4-236 / A4-248 Engine

Late MF165 (A4-212 eng.), MF168, 175, 178, 185, 188
265, 275, 290, 365, 375, 390, 390T, 398, 565, 575, 590, 675
690, 698T, 3050, 3060, 3065, 3070, ITALIAN MF174, 184
194, 274, 284, 294, 373, 393

Yep, like I said.

Oh and I forgot to mention, my 285 has a A4-318.

As far as grey market's go, I'll chime in uninvited here:

The manufacturers try and scare ya with "doom and gloom". Our friends at Kubota USA have a particularly interesting article at http://www.kubota.com/h/Products/findout.cfm

However, many grey market tractors have a ROPS, seat belt, PTO shield, and operator instructions in English (probably retrofitted by the dealer). As far as the operator instructions go, heck, half the guys I know can't READ, so what does it matter ;-)

The big downside is trying to get parts or a service manual. Unless you can positively identify what "white market" machine it's a cross with, you're screwed. Good luck figuring out what parts ya need. That's the price ya pay for savin' money on the front end.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

Latest posts