Killing Alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I have a field I'm trying to convert from alfalfa to just a pasture grass mix. I had it sprayed with roundup this spring. It's still got a ton of volunteer alfalfa coming up. I've sprayed with 2-4-d, and some of the plants still come back. Any ideas on how to eradicate it?

Why work so hard to get rid of it? It will die out over the years and might be the only thing still growing in the pasture if it gets hot and dry. We converted our alfalfa field planted in 2005 to pasture for rotational grazing, it was about 50% alfalfa at the time and has slowly decreased with the orchard grass, timothy and red clover gradually replacing it. As fast as it bounces back I'm sad to see it go. But if you really want it gone graze it hard from now until frost so it can't build up nutrient reserves for spring and a lot of it will disappear.

wow. I've never heard of anyone trying to get rid of alfalfa..

The only reason we ever killed off alfalfa was to replant alfalfa in the same field. Established alfalfa plants put out a chemical of some kind that prevents new alfalfa plants from growing very close to them.

TennesseeTuxedo":11xaz2dj said:
dun":11xaz2dj said:
The only reason we ever killed off alfalfa was to replant alfalfa in the same field. Established alfalfa plants put out a chemical of some kind that prevents new alfalfa plants from growing very close to them.

Interesting.

Bahia has allelopathic properties as well. Though not as strong as alfalfa it does explain why over seeding annuals in bahia isn't as productive as you'd expect.

Jogeephus":1cdvzhrr said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1cdvzhrr said:
dun":1cdvzhrr said:

Interesting.

Bahia has allelopathic properties as well. Though not as strong as alfalfa it does explain why over seeding annuals in bahia isn't as productive as you'd expect.

I wish it worked better on goatweed seeds.

Rafter S":2zbrgkmo said:
Jogeephus":2zbrgkmo said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2zbrgkmo said:
Interesting.

I wish it worked better on goatweed seeds.

Then where would the fun be?

Latest posts