Killer Bees in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
Saw the Cattle Show the other night on RFD network. Half the show was an infomercial of a Caterpillar dealer in Waco selling high dollar cat farm tractors to "ranchers". Anyway, one of his main selling points was to get an enclosed air-conditioned cab to protect yourself from killer bees. Are killer bees really a problem in Texas?

ga. prime":2i9veycx said:
Saw the Cattle Show the other night on RFD network. Half the show was an infomercial of a Caterpillar dealer in Waco selling high dollar cat farm tractors to "ranchers". Anyway, one of his main selling points was to get an enclosed air-conditioned cab to protect yourself from killer bees. Are killer bees really a problem in Texas?

Last night brushhogging I hit a nest of those ground/hornet/wasp/bee things. The thought went throug my mind of how much nicer an enclosed cab is then the open that I was on when I hit a nest of those things a couple of years ago.

Killer bees have been located in Mobile, Alabama, also. This is according to our local bee keeping association.

The Africanized bees are in Texas and there have been reports of a few encounters with them. For the most part they don't bother folks or maybe there was so much hoopla about them that people don't bother them.

I have heard of them being located in this area, but I have yet to hear about someone around being attacked. Remember that movie from the seventies?

We have hives on our place. So far no problems with Killer bees taking over. They are just supposed to be more aggresive than the normal domestic honey bee.

Central Texans should keep a watchful eye over more than just the SPF level of their sunblock this summer. Swarms of bees have taken to a late-season breeding schedule across the area after the heavy rains. Several swarms of bees were discovered Monday on a fire hydrant along Greengate Drive in northeast Killeen and last Sunday, a Lampasas family was attacked by a swarm of thousands of Africanized honey bees, often referred to as "killer" bees. Sgt. Tony Barrio of the Lampasas Police Department responded to the scene of an angry swarm that chased after a father, mother and their son as they attempted to flee in their SUV. The parents had to be hospitalized, but the 2-year-old, strapped in the back seat, was unharmed.

"Once EMS arrived on scene, they realized it wasn't a typical bee sting; it was actually a bee attack," Barrio said Wednesday. "I sent a patrol over there. I was trying to contact him, but I didn't realize that he couldn't respond because he was under attack, too. Once I heard that, I ran on over there with the fire department." Barrio said the couple stopped on the side of the road to look at a home for sale when their SUV suddenly was swarmed by thousands of angry bees that poured like a black pillar from an old tree hollow nearby. As the bees overwhelmed the couple, they hopped inside their vehicle and attempted to speed away. But because the windows were left down, the bees filled the interior of their Ford Excursion, and covered the faces and eyes of both adults. The man stopped the SUV and ran more than half a mile down the road to call for help.

"They tried to drive away, but the bees swarmed inside the vehicle," Barrio said of the scene shortly before he and emergency services personnel arrived. "The female got sleepy as she tried to get to the infant, then became disoriented and passed out on the street. EMS personnel managed to rescue her and get her into an ambulance." They also rescued the toddler. Barrio said the scene resembled something out of a cheesy horror movie. "The fire department arrived and saw a lady in the street and the infant in the vehicle covered in bees," he said. "Our fire marshal went in and pulled the infant out and put them both in the ambulance. " The swarm then followed the emergency trucks. The fire department attempted to subdue the bees, spraying two of its hoses at the hollow as the swarm continued to emerge: a large, black column of twisting anger. "I've been doing this 17 years, and I've never seen an attack like that," Barrio said. "I've been on a lot of bee calls, and I've never been aggressively pursued by bees. The fire department put a thousand gallons of water down that tree and hit it with two hoses." He said the water didn't slow the bees' attack down much. "At that point, we sealed off the street for a half a mile." EMS personnel transported the family to Rollins-Brook Community Hospital in Lampasas. The man sustained more than 100 stings, while the woman received more than 500. The man was released from the hospital on Sunday, and the woman was released on Monday.

3MR":1s7zu1pc said:
We have hives on our place. So far no problems with Killer bees taking over. They are just supposed to be more aggresive than the normal domestic honey bee.
I am not familiar with the hybrid, but the pure African bees are more prolific honey producers than are the ones I kept in England, they just need a little more smoke and general care when handling them.

Couple was attacked earlyer this month(?) about 2 miles from my house :( -Bastrop County-Central Texas :shock: I'm scared to mow!!
I wonder if that couple will buy the house?

andybob":3gfj20qq said:
3MR":3gfj20qq said:
I am not familiar with the hybrid, but the pure African bees are more prolific honey producers than are the ones I kept in England, they just need a little more smoke and general care when handling them.

The idea behind the hybrid was to try and calm them without loosing the extra zest at making honey. It didnt work, but they arent anymore dangerous than the original African Bees.

My mom uses the smoker when she works with the hive. Im to lazy to go to all that trouble and usually just move really slow, paying attention to the warning signs in case any of them get aggrivated.

Txwalt":15ipky5s said:
The fire department attempted to subdue the bees, spraying two of its hoses at the hollow as the swarm continued to emerge:

Huh; ya think! yeah, thats a great way to subdue someone (bees) and keep them in their house (hive). Hit the house with a flood of high pressure water.

Would that work for you or ya think you might get out of the house as well? As Homer Simpson might say; "Duuh1"

A couple weeks ago, a La Grange city employee was attacked while mowing in a city park. He was stung over a hundred times, and subsequently died.

Yes, they are here......

I really don't like hearing this. Yellowjackets, bumblebees and hornets are bad enough now it looks like we got something else to deal with. And I can't run as fast as I used to either. :oops:

There were 2 swarms in Texarkana, AR two years ago, but I haven't heard of any since then. They're here and not to be messed with -- they're very dangerous.

Latest posts