Kentucky Derby

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Saturday May 6. 6:34 eastern post time. The 143 rd running. The most exciting two minutes in sports.

NBC starts coverage at 2:30 pm.

I have not kept up with racing in years, except for triple crown contests.
The Derby has lost a lot of it's luster with today's generations, but I can remember when it was a big thing, even in the little East Texas town I grew up in.

Our big race is the Melbourne Cup, "The race that stops a nation". Even when we were in primary school we stopped to listen to it and every one had a bet on their fancy. It is a race over 2 miles or now the metric equivalent of 3200m. We used to get peed off because the Kiwis would bring their stayers across the ditch and knock it off but now the top stayers from all over the world come and compete, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. I liked the old days the best even if the Kiwis did win it.

Ken

greybeard":3hic0pet said:
The Derby has lost a lot of it's luster with today's generations, but I can remember when it was a big thing, even in the little East Texas town I grew up in.

If you think it's not a big thing anymore, I dare you to drive through Louisville today. :lol:

Farm Fence Solutions":3ck7c9s2 said:
greybeard":3ck7c9s2 said:

If you think it's not a big thing anymore, I dare you to drive through Louisville today. :lol:

That is why I will probably never go. The crowd would be a nightmare.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to remember to take a break from putting up fence to come in and watch. We cut the cord months ago, so with the antenna, i'll have to watch it "live".

Farm Fence Solutions":1yqj3qdk said:
greybeard":1yqj3qdk said:

It's a big Event. But horses have lost meaning and public connection from bygone days.

Only 1.4% of usa population owns a horse today. Owning an average of 3 horses and less than 40 acres.
100 years ago they were a necessity, today the average american probably thinks they are just big dogs or a novelty.

Well, I'm doing my part! lol We feed six of em twice a day. Believe it or not, they all used to have a purpose besides bleeding my wallet.

Farm Fence Solutions":5amn6234 said:
greybeard":5amn6234 said:

No doubt, but decades ago, the Derby was carried on at least radio world wide, and most TV. In 1970, even in Vietnam, and later when I was stationed in Cuba, it was broadcast on armed forces radio network, and we all listened to it.
The way it was.......back when we were one nation and people had a real interest in what happened in other states.
Around 1961 or '62, (I forget now) I and brother had to get a haircut for the upcoming graduation ceremony of my oldest sister, and everyone in the barbershop that May saturday morning was talking about a horse named Decidedly, because his dam was grandaughter of the famous Man O' War. Decidedly won that afternoon. I lived in a small town, maybe 4000 people altogether.
Of course, it probably helped that the TV show National Velvet was very popular that time period.
There were Kentucky Derby parades in cities all over the US and even small towns far outside Ky borders, and Derby Day parties were common in the area of Texas I grew up in. Over in Montgomery Texas, about 25 miles from me, there is an older subdivision my niece lives in that has street names like 'Kentucky Derby' and 'Churchill Downs'.

greybeard":2dqhan62 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2dqhan62 said:
greybeard":2dqhan62 said:

No doubt, but decades ago, the Derby was carried on at least radio world wide, and most TV. In 1970, even in Vietnam, and later when I was stationed in Cuba, it was broadcast on armed forces radio network, and we all listened to it.
The way it was.......back when we were one nation and people had a real interest in what happened in other states.
Around 1961 or '62, (I forget now) I and brother had to get a haircut for the upcoming graduation ceremony of my oldest sister, and everyone in the barbershop that May saturday morning was talking about a horse named Decidedly, because his dam was grandaughter of the famous Man O' War. Decidedly won that afternoon. I lived in a small town, maybe 4000 people altogether.
Of course, it probably helped that the TV show National Velvet was very popular that time period.
There were Kentucky Derby parades in cities all over the US and even small towns far outside Ky borders, and Derby Day parties were common in the area of Texas I grew up in. Over in Montgomery Texas, about 25 miles from me, there is an older subdivision my niece lives in that has street names like 'Kentucky Derby' and 'Churchill Downs'.

Greybeard is right, horse racing, like boxing, are yesterday's sports. Baseball is hanging on but it doesn't captivate our national conscience as in days gone by.

So, who are ya pulling for?

I see lots of press interest for Patch, the one eyed horse at 15:1.
The first horse we ever had was blind in one eye, so I gotta pull for this one.

Latest posts