Keeping Heifers? Need Advice!

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyBlue

Reaction score
I have inherited a small herd of aging cattle from my dad who passed away a couple of years ago. Things have pretty much been on auto-pilot for a long time; good, dependable mama cows (Angus, Hereford, Brangus crosses), a great bull (Brangus) who got low-birth-weight calves that almost literally popped out growing, and virtually no problems.

But now the problems are starting. First, as I said, the cattle are aging. I don't have a cow in my pasture now that is less than 7 years old; some I think are as old as 12-14. I honestly never kept track, and Daddy's record keeping leaves something to be desired. But I do know that two of my older cows have lost calves this year; one birthed a runt that didn't survive, and one managed to break her baby's neck somehow and kill it. That was actually the second time that happened within a two-year period, though the first time was with another cow.

And the bull got to wandering. He was always gentle and followed the bucket, but this past year he grew enormously (2250 lbs) and he discovered fence jumping, bull fighting, and the lure of new cows across the fence. I got fed up with his shenanigans, he was old and getting cantankerous, and I decided to sell him. He brought enough to buy a new, younger (22 months) Brangus bull, and I will pick him up and put him in the pasture next week.

Now, regarding replacements: I have two of my "best" cows with young heifer calves on them, out of the old bull. I have purchased a first-calf cow with a good-looking younger heifer calf and introduced them into my herd. I need to sell off three or four of the old cows, and I need to replace them. IF I DECIDE TO KEEP THE HEIFERS, I will have to rebuild the calving pens at the home place, get some calf-pulling equipment, alert the vet, and all that, if I decide to keep the heifer calves.

Back in the day, Daddy brought the "keeper heifers" to the home place, out of the pasture, to wean. He brought them back to the home place when it came close to calving time. I helped deliver a bunch of calves out there, and sometimes we were pleasantly surprised to wake up with a brand new baby and a proud new mama cow in the pen, where there had only been a fat heifer in there the night before. There were a couple of C-sections, but we never lost a calf or a heifer.

NOW THEN, TO MY QUESTIONS: Things I should remember but don't -

1. How old should those crossbred calves be before they are weaned?
2. How old will they be before they are fertile? And how young is too young?
3. How old should they be before they take the bull?

I am kicking myself on a daily basis because I watched cartoons on Saturdays and played with toy tractors when I was a kid, when I should have been down at the lots with Papa and Daddy learning more about this business than I know now. And I should have paid better attention when I was the hired hand than I did; I just let Daddy make all the decisions. So now I need to acquire and re-acquire some knowledge and information!

I wean calves at about 8 months old. Others will wean anywhere from 6 to 9 months.

2. How old will they be before they are fertile? And how young is too young?
The onset of fertility can vary widely from breed to breed, and between individuals within a breed. They will occasionally get bred before they're weaned if there is a bull in the pasture with them.

I generally put the bull with mine when they're 15 months old.

I wean at 6 to seven months.
The calves should be considered fertile at weaning.
Turn in with bull at 15 months.
Good luck.

Rafter S and I are on the same page.. I sometimes keep my replacement heifers on milk a little longer than the market calves.. 8-9 months or so... I don't require them to be fertile at weaning, in fact I don't like it if they come into heat TOO early just because the bull may still be with the cows and I don't like having 16 month old heifers having calves.. If they are reliably fertile at about 1 year old that's all I need. The youngest I'd breed them at (on a really good, big heifer) is 12 months, mostly they're bred around 15 months though.

Weaning weights are adjusted to 205 days. That's how calves of different ages can be directly compared.
They should be bred by the time they are 14 months old, we usually start at 11-12 months.
Fertility is one of those "you can never tell" kind of deals. Some will be fertile and able to settle before they are weaned, others closer to 2 years old. I think Brahman influenced cattle typically reach puberty a bit older then British or Continentals.

I wean calves from 7 to 9 months old.

2. How old will they be before they are fertile?
I have had them fertile as early as 6 months. Brahman influenced, often, are fertile a bit later.

I usually breed mine at 15 months old. Some Brahman influenced, depending on the percent of Brahman, may not "take" until closer to 24 months.

We wean from 6 - 8 months (Angus, Angus/Hereford) depending on the quality of forage & current market. We lost a 7 month old heifer one year; she died trying to abort. Unusual for her age but it clearly can happen. We also had an "oops" breeding, compliments of the neighbors bull, that resulted in a C-section & subsequently selling the heifer after she recovered. Lessons learned the hard way so we now pull the bulls a minimum of 6 weeks before we wean & Lutalyse all the heifers at weaning (even the ones we don't plan to retain). Retained heifers are pelvic measured at 11 months when they get their BANGS & bred to a low birth weight (avg 69 lbs) calving ease Angus bull at 15 months. Good luck!

I'll just add, start the record keeping now with what little you know and go from there.

Decide which you are getting rid of and then tag everything else. Keep notes, and build up the info over time as you lose the old cows with no history, they will be replaced with ones you know.

Decide on a numbering system for the cows and their calves, mark down when they breed, when the calve, any health issues, when bull went in, when he came out.. etc pretty much anything that makes you stop and think about a specific cow, jot it down in a notepad. Lots of stuff comes in handy down the road.

New cell phones are also great as many will take a picture and label it the date and time it was taken. I snap pics all the time, and it helps me to look back at a number of things.

I number all our calves starting with the year they were born, then a number. Calves born this year all begin with the number 15. 151, 152 153 154, etc. Bull calves are tagged in the right ear, heifers the left.
Use your phone to take a picture of the cow and calf together the first time you see them. Rename the picture to say, "#53 has a black heifer calf".
You can later transfer this to paper and you will still have it on your phone.
We leave the calves on the momma cow for 6 to 8 months depending on the season and how well the momma is holding up.

There's also a letter system in place for the year - which if used makes it easier down the road if that animal shows up somewhere still wearing its tag, the new owner can have a pretty good idea of its age if people use the correct letter. 2015 is C.

http://www.clrc.ca/yearletters.shtml

I just put a small letter at the end of their number (and girls get pink)

20150623_094317.jpg

Latest posts