Keeping cross bred bulls. Tips and pics

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hey here is a different sort of question.

I have some good Black Baldy heifers joined to a lbw Char.

Anythoughts on keeping a crossbred bull to put on future heifers?

Another question anyone reared a fresian beef cross calf and used that as a bull?

I have this funny idea of rearing a bull one way or another getting the cows in calf then selling it fat.

Pics and your tips appreciated.

Ask cowgirl8, she has some crossbred bulls.

That said, I would rather steer out the Friesian bull calf, too much unknowns in his genetics especially if he's out of a parent that has high BW. Very few crossbred bulls are heifer safe bulls.

Since you're selling the cows as bred cows, I would suggest bred them to either a black bull, a straight char or a Hereford to makes the buyers happy.

Ahhh sorry. My cross bred bull would be on straight bredcows selling the calves fat. I just thought it would be interesting

OzssieDave19":16qhk37w said:
Ahhh sorry. My cross bred bull would be on straight bredcows selling the calves fat. I just thought it would be interesting
What kind of crossbred bull you have?

I read an article where the author stated if you are raising crossbred cattle and can't identify the cross just by looking at them, then you are raising mongrels not crossbreds.

People do it. Not many. And usually because they can't afford a decent bull, or do not understand the ramifications and the money that can be lost on an entire calf crop.

There is nothing wrong with using a crossbred bull if the breeds involved in the cross are similar in size, carcass traits, and if selling feeder calves also colour. A terminal breed crossed with a maternal breed (Charolais on Aberdeen Angus) will make the bull's progeny very unforseeable and inconsistent as they will be very different in size, conformation and colour. Not a smart move.

Look at all the crosses being sold by breeders today. Balancers are one. There are many more. The Ultra Blacks. In fact most of the breeds are crosses and even some in the Angus and Herefords breeds aren't pure even though they are registered. Black Simmi's and all are derived from crossing. Not something I intentionally do but have seen several successful cattlemen do it especially if they are retaining ownership. I know who father/son doing it now. The thing is they keep very good records and know what their crosses are and the percentages. When they do sell a load at the sale barn their crosses top the market due to their reputation. And most of the bulls they use are percetage bulls even though they maybe solid colored. So again it can work but not my cup of tea. I do like looking at good cattle so enjoy looking at theirs.

OzssieDave19":2n30agee said:

If "interesting" is your goal, then go right ahead. If making money is your goal instead, I'd advise against it.

elkwc":2pc1pp1w said:
Look at all the crosses being sold by breeders today. Balancers are one. There are many more. The Ultra Blacks. In fact most of the breeds are crosses and even some in the Angus and Herefords breeds aren't pure even though they are registered. Black Simmi's and all are derived from crossing. Not something I intentionally do but have seen several successful cattlemen do it especially if they are retaining ownership. I know who father/son doing it now. The thing is they keep very good records and know what their crosses are and the percentages. When they do sell a load at the sale barn their crosses top the market due to their reputation. And most of the bulls they use are percetage bulls even though they maybe solid colored. So again it can work but not my cup of tea. I do like looking at good cattle so enjoy looking at theirs.
Balancers, SimAngus, Limflex and Ultrablack are usually homo black, heterozygous black or red animals so less crazy colors in the calf crop. All I know that if you used a crossbred bull with colors (herefordX, char X or chromed up breeds) you lost the uniformity and possibly some dollars for not able to selling the calves in big group. Even the Holstein x Angus bull I used throws some chrome and totally unreliable on weaning weights in calves. I didn't keep any of his calves.

Rafter S":1iq71859 said:
OzssieDave19":1iq71859 said:

If "interesting" is your goal, then go right ahead. If making money is your goal instead, I'd advise against it.
Ding ding ding we have a blue ribbon winner.
Rafter it dam sure would be interesting on the train wrecks out of that box of crayons.

Rafter S":evses589 said:
OzssieDave19":evses589 said:

ditto

You asked for pictures :) This is Matt our first bull that we purchased years ago to breed our girls and then we were going to eat him. My husband became to attached and we ended up selling him to a guy who was going to use him on pure angus cows. He was 3/4 angus and 1/4 Hereford. We ended up keeping one heifer out of him is all. He was very docile and we liked that but we are moving on to AI with more quality sires. He is about 2 years old give or take a month or 2 in this photo. He was getting really big when we sold him. He's facing the camera a little so that makes him look post legged and sorta buttless.. He wasn't :)

Latest posts