??Keep or Cull?? (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

It doesn't look like any of the three give enough milk to be keepers. I would freshen them out and they should give some milk while the grass is green, and then sell them in mid-July. The big white face cow will weigh out 800 dollars or more this summer and have a 400 dollar calf. If you sell the black cows with calves in July, the pairs will bring good money. If you sell right now, they will weigh the whiteface and the people will see the two blacks won't give enough milk. Sell in July.

Question: Was this the first time you had trouble with number 1? You mentioned she had a hard time with her last calf, did she do well with the previous ones?

You obviousely like her. If she did well with her first few calves, I think I'd give her another chance. After all, even with her difficulties, she did breed back. Also, she's only 6 so I would think she would have a few more good years in her. So I'd hold off, at least for a little while. If you wait, you can see how she bounces back after this calf. If she doesn't do well, you can sell her this fall after weaning the calf.

I like the looks of #2, but if she's large and hard to keep in condition, she's eating (literally) your profits. I'd ship her, no matter how good she looks.

I'd get rid of #3. I don't think she looks as good as #1, much less #2. With her history of having difficulties in breeding, the real question is why keep her?

I guess I missed something. How can you tell if a cow is gonna give milk from these pictures?
No. 3 would go because of her history.
If no. 2 didn't wean a HUGE calf then she ain't doin her job and is eating the profits. At least a show winning calf.
If no. 1 lost condition because her feed went to milk, that's one thing, but if she lost condition because of some other problem she might grow wheels.
Do you show as pairs or just the calf? Lotta what if's here. In the end they are your cattle, and I've seen alot worse on here. :shock: JMHO.

With the problems you're having with #3, I'd cull her.
I'd keep the first one(atleast for another year), since she's pretty and you sell show calves.
Personally I'd keep #2, but since you are in a different situation then most people with calf/cow operations in my area, you should probably sell her.

FarmGirl10":25t35khh said:
I'd keep the first one(atleast for another year), since she's pretty and you sell show calves.
Personally I'd keep #2, but since you are in a different situation then most people with calf/cow operations in my area, you should probably sell her.

How do you guys know if youw ould keep any if you dont even know if they can eat int he pasture or not. My first question is do they all have to be grain fed because they have no teeth or can they still stay out in the pasture.

CattleHand":33jl0fno said:
FarmGirl10":33jl0fno said:

How do you guys know if youw ould keep any if you dont even know if they can eat int he pasture or not. My first question is do they all have to be grain fed because they have no teeth or can they still stay out in the pasture.
I just assumed they were out in the pasture, I probably shouldn't have assumed..we all know what that does. :oops:

Comments were made based on information furnished. Heck they aren't that old. Unless they've been eating that dirt and barb wire CB talks about sometimes I bet they got all their teeth. Smile for me sweetheart. :heart: :heart:

TexasBred":3ozn1va8 said:
Comments were made based on information furnished. Heck they aren't that old. Unless they've been eating that dirt and barb wire CB talks about sometimes I bet they got all their teeth. Smile for me sweetheart. :heart: :heart:
:D
I didn't think assuming that they were on pasture was that big of a risk so I took it. And they were standing on grass.....

stocky":kjg1y9cg said:
It doesn't look like any of the three give enough milk to be keepers. I would freshen them out and they should give some milk while the grass is green, and then sell them in mid-July. The big white face cow will weigh out 800 dollars or more this summer and have a 400 dollar calf. If you sell the black cows with calves in July, the pairs will bring good money. If you sell right now, they will weigh the whiteface and the people will see the two blacks won't give enough milk. Sell in July.
They all give tons of milk. Just curious, but how can you tell by a pic if they give enough milk, especially when the pics are of them when they are not lactating?

Needmore Land and Cattle":3rzslqs2 said:
I guess I missed something. How can you tell if a cow is gonna give milk from these pictures?
No. 3 would go because of her history.
If no. 2 didn't wean a HUGE calf then she ain't doin her job and is eating the profits. At least a show winning calf.
If no. 1 lost condition because her feed went to milk, that's one thing, but if she lost condition because of some other problem she might grow wheels.
Do you show as pairs or just the calf? Lotta what if's here. In the end they are your cattle, and I've seen alot worse on here. :shock: JMHO.
I don't show pairs...The hereford weans a huge calf every time.

CattleHand":1v09pnii said:
FarmGirl10":1v09pnii said:

They aren't grain fed...Just pasture and hay in the winter.

I would cull for bad udders, or disposition as long as they bred back. Some people cull anything that loses a calf.

Your rougher looking cows are usually your better milkers.

I'd check the herefords teeth, maybe she is just short and solid and should be getting grain to keep her weight up. But i agree if you dont think #3 will give you anything good then I'd sell her and let the other two give you a calf and sell them. When you sold number #3 you could see if anyone had a 6Mo or 7Mo bred that isnt too expensive.

JR, you said they all give tons of milk. In that case, I stand corrected in my conclusions from the pics and info.
Here was my thought process in my decision on the cows. This is the same thought process I use when buying cows at a sales barn or on the farm. You said all 3 cows are just weeks from calving.
Cow #1 has no udder. To be 6 years old and have no udder whatsoever makes me think she is not a milker. To be just weeks from calving and still have nothing makes me think that even stronger. She is thin and not bellying up or springing in any way just a few weeks from calving. That is usually a sign of a cow gonna have a small, weak calf and not have much milk for it.
Cow #3 has just a tiny bit more udder. However, not springing nearly enough for cow that is just weeks from calving. She hasnt had a calf for a long time, she should be bellied up and bagging up quite a bit being this close to freshening if she is a real good milker.
Both of these black cows look like the kind of angus that will raise the 400-450 lb calves instead of the 600-700 lb calves you want out of your beef cows.
The white face cow looks like she gives considerably more milk than the others, but she shows almost no udder for a 8-9 year old cow. Cows that are heavy milkers dont have tiny udders like that just weeks from calving. Also, she weighs 1635 lbs. It is highly unusual for a cow that gives enough milk to wean 600-700 lb calves and freshen every 10 1/2 to 12 months to get that big, except in certain breeds. That is usually the sign of a cow that doesnt give enough milk or doesnt raise a calf every year for her to get that big.
The way you described all three cows, in your mind, and in my mind also, they are all cull cows. I believe they will make you money to hold until July to cull them. Good luck with your decision

stocky":mmub32no said:
JR, you said they all give tons of milk. In that case, I stand corrected in my conclusions from the pics and info.
Here was my thought process in my decision on the cows. This is the same thought process I use when buying cows at a sales barn or on the farm. You said all 3 cows are just weeks from calving.
Cow #1 has no udder. To be 6 years old and have no udder whatsoever makes me think she is not a milker. To be just weeks from calving and still have nothing makes me think that even stronger. She is thin and not bellying up or springing in any way just a few weeks from calving. That is usually a sign of a cow gonna have a small, weak calf and not have much milk for it.
Cow #3 has just a tiny bit more udder. However, not springing nearly enough for cow that is just weeks from calving. She hasnt had a calf for a long time, she should be bellied up and bagging up quite a bit being this close to freshening if she is a real good milker.
Both of these black cows look like the kind of angus that will raise the 400-450 lb calves instead of the 600-700 lb calves you want out of your beef cows.
The white face cow looks like she gives considerably more milk than the others, but she shows almost no udder for a 8-9 year old cow. Cows that are heavy milkers dont have tiny udders like that just weeks from calving. Also, she weighs 1635 lbs. It is highly unusual for a cow that gives enough milk to wean 600-700 lb calves and freshen every 10 1/2 to 12 months to get that big, except in certain breeds. That is usually the sign of a cow that doesnt give enough milk or doesnt raise a calf every year for her to get that big.
The way you described all three cows, in your mind, and in my mind also, they are all cull cows. I believe they will make you money to hold until July to cull them. Good luck with your decision

Most beef cows don't have a large udder when they are weeks before calving, and they don't need a large udder to give enough milk to raise a 600-700 lb calf. In fact most of us don't want a large uddered cow because more often than not, that leads to other problems. I have numerous cows here that have rather small udders, and yet they still raise 600+ lb calves.

Cows usually don't start to bag up or even loosen up until they are within 2 weeks of calving. Gut size also doesn't really mean much, had a heifer calve tonite, big gut, tiny calf. Had another one calve 10 days ago, average gut, decent sized calf. You can't tell much about a cow's production from a picture.

I don't disagree with you on the size of the Hereford cow, and on top of that I like a cow to wean at least 50% of their body weight, that cow would need to wean an 850 lb calf, most cows won't do that.

Latest posts