??Keep or Cull?? (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

JR Cattle Co.

Reaction score
I have some cows that I am on the fence about...Should I keep them or cull them in your opinion?? Pics were taken a few months ago the day after the ice melted from the big ice storm we had. All three are heavy bred and weeks away from calving.
cattlepics015abc.jpg
This cow is 6 years old, she is extremely pretty in person, sound, and clean fronted...However, when she had her calf last year, she took a pretty hard toll and has had trouble rebounding and getting conditoned again. If I keep her, I plan on breeding her to Carnac.
cattlepics019.jpg
This cow is about 8-9 years old. She is extremely large framed, and last year she weighed 1635 lbs. She had a pretty good lookin heifer last year, but she is becoming hard to keep condition on. She is sound and big footed, clean fronted and good uddered, and has a great dispostion,but she is huge and hard to keep weght on.
cattlepics014.jpg
This cow is 6 years old. I bought her open a couple years ago. I got her bred, but she lost her calf about a week after it was born. I AI'd her to Sting last year, but she didn't stick. She got covered by the clean up bull and is about a month away from calving. Should I go ahead and try to AI her again or ship her off?

youve already stated your reasons why they are on the cull list.so id go a head an cull them.you have told all 3s probs.an they need to go before they get to bad.

bigbull338":110u3n9g said:
youve already stated your reasons why they are on the cull list.so id go a head an cull them.you have told all 3s probs.an they need to go before they get to bad.

Agreed. Sounds like you have the opportunity to free your mind of 3 problems.

I might keep the one that is 30 days away from calving just because spring is coming on but the rest would have been sold months ago if they were mine. Being pretty don't count.

If they were mine i'd let them raise the calf their carrying and then cut there heads off.

Maybe I misread but thought only # 3 was bred. Regardless, 1 & 2 should sell well. Attractive, sound, docile and heavy.

Yes, all three are heavy bred, and only weeks away from calving. Pics were taken day after big ice storm a few months ago.

TexasBred":3fh5gkgk said:
I might keep the one that is 30 days away from calving just because spring is coming on but the rest would have been sold months ago if they were mine. Being pretty don't count.
I agree that pretty doesn't count for commercial production, but I have never seen an ugly calf win a show, and that is what these cows are used for. Thanks for the comments!

Kind of like deciding to fire a employee...once you have made the decision, do it immediately or you will find excuses to keep them on. We culled real hard this fall based on feed conversion, if they couldn't maintain on the groceries that they were fed then they danced to the auctioneer's song. Now it looks like we'll have hay to spare come May. Not that I haven't been looking at replacements.
IMO...I'd let #3 calve out and see how she does. Of course I like Herfs too, especially the big gals.
And that's just my two bits worth...asked for or not...DMc

JR Cattle Co.":1eqmv4ni said:
TexasBred":1eqmv4ni said:
I agree that pretty doesn't count for commercial production, but I have never seen an ugly calf win a show, and that is what these cows are used for. Thanks for the comments!

I'll retract that statement. Maybe "being pretty" will count at the auction barn. ;-)

I would keep cow #1 and 3 just to give #1 another chance. Sometimes they fall off after calving. As already mention I would wait til spring/summer to sell #3 if i sold her at all. I would give her one more chance with the bull.

In our operation, as long as they are raising a good calf, and breeding back on time I really don't worry too much about it. Usually, the hard keepers will cull themselves, they come up dry. They get about 60 days to get bred, if they don't do it they take a trip. If they don't raise a reasonably good calf they take a trip. Other than that they stay. But we aren't in the show business either.

As for these cows, if they are raising the type of calf you like, and are breeding back keep 'em, if they are not doing what you want send them on. I wouldn't worry so much about what the cow looks like, as long as the calves are what you want. If you decide to sell 'em, pairs generally bring more than bred cows do.

I like both #1 and #2. You have some nice looking cows there.
Now I agree with all of those who said to go ahead and ship them.
I also agree with Randi about selling them as pairs. They could also go as short term cows.
I just think your best bet would to let them have the calves and ship them in the fall with the calves you sell. JMO.

I also think your cows look nice. "Pretty cows" and heavy bred cows here bring pretty good money here ($650 an up...more if its a younger animal). It also seems to me that bred cows bring more generally than cows with young calves. Even 3-1's don't seem to bring much more than a heavy bred :???:

Since they are so close to calving, I would probably keep them to see what they brought..but if I was running out of room or needed money then they would go. 6-8 year old cows still have alot of productive years in my mind.
donna

Never2old2learn-ron wrote
If it were me, I would cull the 1st and 3rd one, but I think I would keep #2 for at least another year.
I would be interested in knowing why he would choose to keep an 8-9 year old cow over a 6 year old cow.

Right now in our area, heavy bred cows are selling real well unless she shows some age. A slick looking black pair sells the best. If you have considered culling them it is just a matter of when and how. Now, with calf at side, or after weaning the calf. :???: Wow! How is that for helpful advice.

1982vett":k0ynb4pa said:
Never2old2learn-ron wrote
If it were me, I would cull the 1st and 3rd one, but I think I would keep #2 for at least another year.
I would be interested in knowing why he would choose to keep an 8-9 year old cow over a 6 year old cow.

Right now in our area, heavy bred cows are selling real well unless she shows some age. A slick looking black pair sells the best. If you have considered culling them it is just a matter of when and how. Now, with calf at side, or after weaning the calf. :???: Wow! How is that for helpful advice.

Sounded like the fact that they were heavy bred was making it hard to decide. That if they were open or had someother issues they would be gone. donna

Personally I don't like any of the three but they might click with the right club calf bull,if you have keep them this long I'd see what kind of calves you get this year.If you need numbers keep the ones you get breed back or put an egg in them.If you don't need cows take them for a ride.

Latest posts