Keep an eye on your donkey

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I wasn't going to tell this tale, but I think it merits sharing. I've got a couple of donkeys, running with my main herd. Their not actually mine, but long story short, they've been under my care for about 3 years. A jack, and a pretty aged Jenny. They ain't a lot of trouble, and until yesterday, I never minded them being there. They make it a little aggravating to catch the cows sometimes though. Anyway, back to the story. This jack has ran with my cows for 3 years, and ran with cows before coming to my place. So he should have done showed himself, if he was going to. I was checking the cows late yesterday evening, and shut the 4 wheeler off to just sit and watch the herd pass by. As I'm sitting there, way off over the hill, I hear a baby calf bawling in distress. About a half dozen of my cows take off in the direction of the commotion, and actually beat me there. The Jack is doing his best to kill a 3 week old calf. The cows actually run him off, and the calf is fine, and was still fine this morning. I live on the place my cows are own, and spend most of my time within eyesight, or ear shot of what goes on. First time I've ever seen anything like this before out of the donkey. I just tell this tale, as warning. Depending on your donkey, you might want to rethink having one. I stretch em once a year, and trim their feet. I said last year I was going to cut the thing the next time he was on the ground, and didn't. I don't know if being cut would have prevented this or not, but I wish I had.

Ive seen it and had a jenny do that a couple years ago. she left from my place. I have 2 jacks right now father and son and do not let them run with calves younger than 2 months old just to be safe. the youngest was born with the cows and he had a couple of calf buddies growing up. it was not uncommon for him to be bedded down with a bunch of calves and they head butted and played. the old jack is just layed back and only gets excited if a dog gets close to his son.

Bigfoot":bcreodl2 said:
I wasn't going to tell this tale, but I think it merits sharing. I've got a couple of donkeys, running with my main herd. Their not actually mine, but long story short, they've been under my care for about 3 years. A jack, and a pretty aged Jenny. They ain't a lot of trouble, and until yesterday, I never minded them being there. They make it a little aggravating to catch the cows sometimes though. Anyway, back to the story. This jack has ran with my cows for 3 years, and ran with cows before coming to my place. So he should have done showed himself, if he was going to. I was checking the cows late yesterday evening, and shut the 4 wheeler off to just sit and watch the herd pass by. As I'm sitting there, way off over the hill, I hear a baby calf bawling in distress. About a half dozen of my cows take off in the direction of the commotion, and actually beat me there. The Jack is doing his best to kill a 3 week old calf. The cows actually run him off, and the calf is fine, and was still fine this morning. I live on the place my cows are own, and spend most of my time within eyesight, or ear shot of what goes on. First time I've ever seen anything like this before out of the donkey. I just tell this tale, as warning. Depending on your donkey, you might want to rethink having one. I stretch em once a year, and trim their feet. I said last year I was going to cut the thing the next time he was on the ground, and didn't. I don't know if being cut would have prevented this or not, but I wish I had.

I have an old Jenny that is pushing 30 does a great job.
Learned a long time ago when they start it is like a dog killing chickens for some reason.
Neighbor had two cut ones for years last year started killing calves.
My position when you quit protecting and start harassing it is time to get the 22lr.
Doesn't take long to do the math ten dollar donkey 2000 dollar calf.

My cattle has grown to hated the donkeys the rented has. I don't know if they did something terrible to my cows but apparently the cows will attacking them every time if both came in same corral. His donkeys kept their distance away from our herd after one of the donkeys got tossed up and rolled around by few cows.

I've been beating my brain since yesterday trying to figure out why all of sudden this thing goes ape crap crazy on me. I sold an old cow last Thursday. Probably as bad an old cow as has ever been on the place. I bet you anything that old crazy cow was keeping him in check. Cow gone, and he has free reign.

I hauled him to the local kill buyer late yesterday. Made a donation of him.

A couple of years back my cousin emailed me and told me their jack was about to kill their bull. She said every time the bull got close to the cows the jack would start running and kicking at the him, and he would have to retreat into the tank to get away from him. I told her her then to get rid of the jack, but he was a pet so she said they would have him cut first to see if that made a difference. Never heard back from her about the subject, so maybe it did.

I think that's a good choice Bigfoot.. Now less grass is getting eaten as well. That old cow may have been keeping him in check.

I've also heard of donkeys breeding heifers and causing serious damage... Another reason to not have him around.

We had a jack years ago that did the same thing. He was fine for a couple of years, and then he snapped. He ended up killing a two day old calf before I could get him off of it. He is still around, but he don't eat much anymore. ;-)

I think you made a wise decision Bigfoot. I have 2 Jenny's on my place; Wanita and Elfrita, and neither have ever made a move toward endangering my calves/cattle. They are very territorial, and I can imagine that when you sold the "boss" cow it did change something in the behavior of your jack.
I've seen my jennies run off yotes many times. They almost ran me off the place once after I had gotten a new black "hoodie" for Christmas. I was a stranger to them in that getup. They started charging at me from about 2 or 3 hundred yards. There was a fence between us but I still removed my new black hoodie and dropped it on the ground. Then I started yelling their names at them. They stopped before they got to the fence between us. This incident prompted me to re-evaluate the idea of having donkeys on the place. This was/has been the only negative experience I've had with them. They are still here.

I'll take several donkeys in a years time. People always seem to want to give one away. I have a place to send them, when we're done with them (not a kill pen BTW). You can get all the heeling practice you want on a donkey. We always use a breakaway honda, and usually only go the horn, when the rope doesn't fall off on its on. Its about the only good use I have ever personally found for them. People underestimate their speed. I clocked one not long ago at 36 mph down the pen. That was a hundred yard dash mind you. Secretariat came in around 40 mph, if I am remembering right.

We have a donkey around here some were. Ethel showed up when my grandfather started running goats. It was about the time I stared driving so shes well into her 30s. She did a good job guarding the goats for decades. When we changed to sheep she made the change fine. If there was a coyote or dog spotted she would round up her herd and head em home screaming her head off. I woke one moring to barking dogs in the pasture were we penned the sheep at night. I got one as several big dogs scattered off. They had killed several goats but Ethel had the rest of the herd, probably 50 to 75 goats crowded on the fishing pier and stood guard at the step up. :lol2:
With no sheep or goats she goes were Ever she pleases now. Runs with the cows some , sometimes with the horses sometimes alone. If there was only one blade of grass on this place she would know exactly where it was. My grandmother loved that donkey and she ask me one time to promise her Ethel could live out her life here. So she will even if I have to build her her own pasture.

Same thing happened to me. Donkey picking up my calves and throwing them like a rag doll. He ran a full grown cow across my place trying to bite her. She had to get in the pond to get away from him. Donkey is in donkey heaven (or heII) now.

We tried the donkey deal here also. And found out really quick that I didn't need any more jackass's around here.

Seen one carrying a lamb around in its mouth awhile back,drop it and pick it back up, go a little ways and drop it again... It was already dead. But he was making dam sure of it...

I know i've mentioned it somewhere in this forum to not put donkeys with baby calves. We had a donkey, in fact he's known worldwide via youtube. He died last year and he was around 40. He'd get anything small that wandered into his pasture. We used him to break show heifers, but when the kids quit showing he was allowed to retire. He was a very sweet donkey, castrated, and lived with the horses just fine. If we put cows in their pasture, it was once the calves were older. My daughter also found her donkey throwing around a calf like it was a rag doll...i warned her..
Not sure where people get they are great protectors. I guess if you have a neighbor who has a dog that runs your horses or just crosses your pasture they might work.. Someone told some neighbors of ours that to keep things from killing their goats, get some donkeys. So they got these 2 cute jennies. One day i noticed the donkeys were in a different pasture. Asked the guy and he said, they kill the babies.. They are fine once the goats are bigger and they really liked the donkeys so they keep them separate....

Latest posts