KCF Bennett 10H

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbluegrass

Reaction score
Anyone use this bull?

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/herefo ... o=29HP0918

His EPD numbers look pretty good. I don't know how much he has been used. I am thinking about using him on my Black Angus ladies to make F1 baldies. I am not very good with hefeford EPD numbers and names. I did a few searches for him but I wasn't able to find anything very useful.

I like most of what I see, I just don't know if anyone has any real world experience with him. How are his maternal traits - udders, teats, ? - anyone have any problems with feet?

Thanks in advance

I have mixed feelings about World Class, meaning I had some good looking calves and some dogs, but that may be me or my cows. I really like the dams sire, 774, but again this is the internet and I know some don't like him. I think he is a good looking bull, phenotype, but lots of good bulls out there. Just my two cents, look at SHF Rib Eye, loved every calf I've had on the ground, easy doing, lots of growth, another ABS bull..... that some here don't like. :2cents:

Good luck,
Alan

bigbluegrass":jc4npa91 said:
Anyone use this bull?

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/herefo ... o=29HP0918

His EPD numbers look pretty good. I don't know how much he has been used. I am thinking about using him on my Black Angus ladies to make F1 baldies. I am not very good with hefeford EPD numbers and names. I did a few searches for him but I wasn't able to find anything very useful.

I like most of what I see, I just don't know if anyone has any real world experience with him. How are his maternal traits - udders, teats, ? - anyone have any problems with feet?

Thanks in advance

Long stretched out rascal isn't he?

What part of the Bluegrass State are you in? My wife's people run Angus in Gallatin County.

I'm in the NE corner of Pendelton County. Not far from Gallatin at all. I thought you were moving up this way TT?

I've about got things worked out so I spend 4-5 days a month on the farm. I was there the end of March and we bought two bulls at the Rock Ridge sale down in Lawrenceburg. It'll be at least a year before I can make the move and live there full time. I am chomping at the bit I must admit.

Alan":3cqxa446 said:
I have mixed feelings about World Class, meaning I had some good looking calves and some dogs, but that may be me or my cows. I really like the dams sire, 774, but again this is the internet and I know some don't like him. I think he is a good looking bull, phenotype, but lots of good bulls out there. Just my two cents, look at SHF Rib Eye, loved every calf I've had on the ground, easy doing, lots of growth, another ABS bull..... that some here don't like. :2cents:

Good luck,
Alan

Thanks for your thoughts Alan. I really appreciate the input.
I really liked Rib Eye and I was thinking about using him. The only problem I had with Rib Eye was that his Frame Score is at 7! :shock: I just can't keep stock that big. I like to look at big cows, but I don't like to feed them. But if he throws easy doing calves with lots of growth maybe I should give him a shot. On paper Bennett 10H looks better with WW at 75 and YW at 120 vs WW 55 and YW 81 of Rib Eye - but I just don't know about the rest of him. I also don't know how accurate the numbers really are on either. Rib Eye has a higher accuracy overall - which should mean he was/is used more. I might use him. How old is your oldest Rib Eye daughter? Did he increase your cow size? How big are your cows? I have pretty small angus cows - 1200# to 1500# range. Sounds like I will be picking through the Bennett 10H calves for the winners and taking a hit on the losers.
Thanks again

TennesseeTuxedo":1m6sih0b said:
I've about got things worked out so I spend 4-5 days a month on the farm. I was there the end of March and we bought two bulls at the Rock Ridge sale down in Lawrenceburg. It'll be at least a year before I can make the move and live there full time. I am chomping at the bit I must admit.
Do they sell registered Angus stock or is it a commercial operation. Lots of Angus around here. I am not familiar with Rock Ridge Angus. Do they have pretty good stock? How did the sale go?

The sale was great. I had a blast. We went intending to buy one bull but ended up with two.

We have a commercial operation at this point. The bulls are registered but most of the cows are not. They are all of Angus heritage.

One thing I am a little concerned about is that he doesn't have any butt on him. My cows aren't really heavy in the rear either. I like his front end. I don't have a problem with his length. I like his mature size of 56" hip height (FS 4.5 I think). I saw a video of him walking around and his feet seemed fine. Anyone else have any thoughts on him. Please tear him apart before I get the semen in my tank!

Rib eye is not a 7 frame bull, you can take a frame score off that. I bought some cows from kevin the same year and there was an issue with a mat in the bottom of the chute when they were being measured. He averages around a 6 frame calf (without looking on hereford.org). some of his calves are really good, and some I don't like as well. If you use him on a powerful set of cows he does a great job of moderating BW and other things while increasing carcass. There are some other options as well, one being the lot 2 and lot 8 bulls that sold in Kevins sale this year. Both are wonder sons, and I believe they will give you what you are looking for. I am sure you can buy the semen economical, and I am sure you will be happy

If you are looking for a low BW bull that will throw sellable bull calves, and top cut brood females use Progress. I know that Kevin has flushed a few progress daughters the last few years, and I believe there are a bunch more being flushed this year. I will also be flushing a sister by blood to T101, Kevins top selling cow this year (both progress daughters)

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure what the MCW was on the EPD, thanks for pointing that out. The +108 is probably going to add some pounds to my cows.

In general, are the YFS not accurate? I have used them in the past to stay with smaller bulls. But from what it sounds like those numbers may not be very accurate. I talked to an Angus breeder who had some really low numbers and asked if the bull was really that small. He said - "well we ran 120 yearlings through the chute that day"... so I guess that was his way of saying $hit happens? :hide:

Has anyone actually used this bull? He has been around for awhile, so I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with him.

Thanks

Latest posts