Just when you think you have seen it all (caution graphic photos)

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The boss and our herdsman pulled up four cows out of our mature cow pen yesterday that had not yet calved, they palpated them and put them into a different pasture. Today they pulled up 8 that have not calved in the 2 and 3 year old pen to check them knowing that two have lost the calves (found the calves but could not identify the mamma.) Palpated the 8 today sure enough 2 of the 6 were open. When they were moving the 6 into the pasture with the 4 that still needed to calve from the mature pen they saw one of the 4 in labor. They decided to wait before putting the 6 in with them until she finished calving. So they waited, and sure enough she calved. The boss said the first calf hung up a bit at the hips but she pushed it on out. She got up licked the baby off and then started acting like she was in labor again. They decided they might better get her up since they were pretty sure it was twins. So they went to open gates and do what was needed to move her to a chute. When they got back to move her she had already had baby number two. Fair warning baby number two is pretty hard to look at so if you have a weak stomach just don't scroll down. I am posting this because I have never seen anything like it. Calf number one seems to be healthy, mamma is doing fine. Our herdsman said had he found baby number 2 in the pasture he would have bet the farm that it didn't belong to the cow that had it. But since they witnessed it they know she did. Calf number 1 weighed 72 pounds they didn't weigh calf number 2 but he was about the same size.

The cow is a 2004 model that has had a calf every year and done a great job with them. Today we are 48 days into our calving season. So yes she fell a bit back this year but still acceptable on calving interval.

gizmom

Margonme

I didn't figure folks on here would be bothered, but wanted to issue a warning just in case. The boss emailed the photos to me today, I had the photo of calf number 2 opened when one of our managers came into my office. She saw the picture turned a very slight shade of green. After that I figured a caution was in order.

Gizmom

Gizmom,
I would be interested in hearing what our vet thought caused this deal.. Interesting that she didn't lose them both. Was the front leg on the dead one turned that way when Mike found it?

Fascinating, thanks for posting! Dead a while ago and starting to mummify? So then did the body hair fall out as time then passed? The eye socket looks like a version of all the mummified bodies I've seen over the years. Marvellous that the other calf was able to continue to birth. Are there locally-occurring diseases that can kill them late in gestation?
What sex/es are they? Did you get lucky twice? :)

It looks well developed so no suggestion of being malnourished. I would say with the jockeying for positions close to birth that the blood supply got cut off some how and it perished.

Ken

I did give some wrong information. I said they were about the same size, I assumed that based on the photos. Ronnie ( the boss) informed me that calf #2 was only about 40 to 45 pounds. We were very fortunate that the cow was able to go ahead and have #2 his tissue was tearing. The boss was amazed it wasn't stinking. Both calves were Bulls. I have heard stories about this happening, but never seen it, sure hope this is a first and last time for this learning experience. Jscunn I am going to give Dr Hank a call this is odd enough to warrant a conversation. I believe the photo was taken right after delivery, I think she may have stood up and the leg turned when it hit the ground. The decomposition was pretty advanced bases on the hair loss and skin decomp. My guess that had she waited another day or two we would have had to pull #2 out in bits and pieces. I want to check with Dr Hank to see if we should treat the cow and calf with some antibiotics, just to be on the safe side.

Gizmom

Gizmom

If they die inside and there are no bugs coming in from outside, they don't stink or decompose in the same way they do outside or if labour has begun and stopped, as far as I've experienced and understand it.

I plan to send him an email with photos tomorrow. We processed yearling heifers today and our butts are dragging. I will let y'all know when I hear back from him. MIKE thinks the calf 2 probably died in August, he is amazed the cow didn't go down due to having to expel all the toxins from the dead calf. Pretty dang amazing for sure. We discussed it while we were working the heifers today, we had both noticed the cow looked a bit run down, and her coat was dull. But heck at 12 carrying calf number 10 we figured she would bounce back after she had the calf and got her fall work up. I would have never dreamed what was going on with her. I am still amazed we have a live calf and a live cow.

Gizmom

I had the same thing happen in February of 2015. It is not common but the weaker fetus dies for an unknown reason, maybe lack of nutrients?

I had a cow that had 3 sets of twins in a row, and 2 of them were abortions.. The one pair I remember well was about the size of #2 calf, and had minimal hair.. they were about 8 weeks early or so.
Another cow had twins and I didn't notice she was having another.. her first one was 110 lbs.. anyhow he wasn't pretty to look at the next day when I got him out.. had several spots where his skin was ripped.. yeah #2 was also 110 lbs.. (cow was about 1900 lbs though)

Got a reply from my vet on the photos we sent to him on the two calves. Just to make sure I don't make a mistake I just copied and am pasting his reply.

Fetal mummy. She was lucky enough to have separate placentations. Not common but definitely occurs. Calf 2 died and mummified, sterile environment, very little inflammation, no harm to calf 1.
Keep living right.
Hank

Kind of what I thought but can't say I was 100% certain. Calf #2 is doing fine as is mamma. Dr. Hank is right we were blessed with this one.

gizmom

Thanks so much for posting his reply. My wife who has worked OB/GYN reminded me that she told me that is what occurred. I ought to learn to listen, but then again why start now.

I had a mare one time that aborted a foal early that looked the same way. It wasn't twins but hooves were developed just no hair on body.