Help Support CattleToday:

Do your grain your cow herd and claves while on pasture

• Yes

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 91.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the only time give them a smell of grain is when we are sorting off the calves tobe sold.

I will creep calves a few weeks before weaning and will feed them while weaning for a few weeks. I will feed a bag of cubes once in while just so they will follow me to the corral. Mostly they follow me where ever i go because of changing pastures.

We feed grain if we grow it and the hay is poor, or if the hay is poor and we need to buy a bit to keep the condition on in the winter months. Otherwise all they get is hay both tame and wild in the winter months and pasture during the spring, summer and fall. Just dang costs to much

I feed mine grain and pasture in summer and grain plus corn silage in winter.

I voted NO, but after thinking about it I might be a liar. Each group of cattle gets a bucket of grain every week or two. Shame on me. I have fed cubes or lick tanks when using corn fodder or exceptionally poor hay but that's it.

I keep a creep feeder out year round for very small calves only. The cattle are fed cubes in the winter only because so much of the hay around here is pretty sorry. Othewise I only feed in order to pen.

cfpinz":3hey8fko said:
I voted NO, but after thinking about it I might be a liar. Each group of cattle gets a bucket of grain every week or two. Shame on me. I have fed cubes or lick tanks when using corn fodder or exceptionally poor hay but that's it.
Same here except not every week,just when I'm getting ready to do something with them.Cattle will follow you about anywhere when you spoil them with feed.You can do more with a sack of feed than with a bunch of people they haven't seen before!

I think it's good to have your cows know what a bucket of grain is. So much easier leading a herd then chasing a herd. Same with calves. My calves get grain just before weaning, during preconditioning and later grain fed. Why not get the best out of your product. Around here grass fed is considered grinding meat.

mnmtranching":17av3b0d said:
I think it's good to have your cows know what a bucket of grain is. So much easier leading a herd then chasing a herd. Same with calves. My calves get grain just before weaning, during preconditioning and later grain fed. Why not get the best out of your product. Around here grass fed is considered grinding meat.
Like you said----Not just there ,but a lot of places !! :tiphat:

mnmtranching":d6cjn8m4 said:
Ayup ~ what he said. :nod:

I voted NO because we give so little grain it doesn't make a difference in their condition. But we do give a little handout of "all stock" sweet feed. What we put out for the whole bunch wouldn't founder a shetland pony. But they are slaves to it, they love it. We both have full time jobs and by putting out this tidbit of feed we get to inspect our cattle every day with no time or effort spent. When we bring them in to work them, they see the pen as a good place and everyone is calm and easy to work. The calves get used to people and they grow up to be calm and quiet. And if anybody is sick enough to go off their feed, we will know it right away. And so on. But if a mouthful a day is considered grain fed, we're guilty.

MO_cows":2q7a337y said:
But if a mouthful a day is considered grain fed, we're guilty.
Contrary to what you have been led to believe, there really is no right or wrong answer ~ explain what you do in order to teach, but not to justify. You do what works for you ~ nobody else is paying your feed bill or mine. Grain is not a four letter word.

angie":2wgou5m6 said:
MO_cows":2wgou5m6 said:
But if a mouthful a day is considered grain fed, we're guilty.
Contrary to what you have been led to believe, there really is no right or wrong answer ~ explain what you do in order to teach, but not to justify. You do what works for you ~ nobody else is paying your feed bill or mine. Grain is not a four letter word.
Ain't that the truth. You know what works for you and other folks know what works for them. Every situation is different.

ga. prime":3vkcdcjo said:
I don't even know what grain is.
I know what grain is and you can learn too, gaprime.Perhaps some schooling in Agriculture and you will know! I do have 1 question.
I am wondering about claves--

What exactly are claves?

The poll is skewed a bit, I would say, because you are all "grainers" through your explanation. So your cattle (grain-fed genetics) need their grain-- thanks for proving my point.................. yet again.
I voted NO...............
Ed

edrsimms":1vv97lqg said:
I know what grain is and you can learn too, gaprime.Perhaps some schooling in Agriculture and you will know! I do have 1 question.
I am wondering about claves--

What exactly are claves?

The poll is skewed a bit, I would say, because you are all "grainers" through your explanation. So your cattle (grain-fed genetics) need their grain-- thanks for proving my point.................. yet again.
I voted NO...............
Ed
Wow Ed. You seem really confused, angry and affected by the decisions I and others make. :(

I can help you out here some though. When ga prime said he didn't "know what grain is", I am thinking he was being a bit facetious ~ I realize it is hard to get that through written communication. Hope that clears some confusion up for you.

Also, I am going to take another stab in the dark here, and say that "claves" means calves. :nod: See, I can't be sure ~ but if you use the context clues provided in the title ~ that would make the most sense. ;-)

Also. The poll is too simple to be skewed, even "a bit". It is a simple, direct question ~ with simple direct answers.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time making heads or tails of this...... The rest of us take for granted cognitive ability, without considering the impact lack of it will have on those less fortunate. You have been a helpful reminder. :tiphat: If you would like help with putting together a correct sentence of your own someday, let me know ~ but "A" for effort on yours there. :clap: Keep trying Ed!

Hope this helps. :nod:

I don't see the difference in spending a bunch of money on producing high protein forage or spending the same amount on grain. In reading edrsimms post on a bunch of threads he pretty much says his cows graze on planted forages year around. Seed, fertilize, and fuel cost alot, might be cheaper to feed grain.

Latest posts