just smoked another butt

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I think this was one of the best I've done. Juicy, 6 hrs on the smoker with hickory, good thick bark, smoke ring.....awesome....
Sorry no pics. Just thought I'd mess with HD's head.

Low and slow is the way to go. Sounds like you've got that part down pat Hook.

What kind of sauce you finishing with and serving with that butt? I enjoy an eastern North Carolina vinegar base myself. Don't get me wrong though, I like the tomato paste based bbq sauces we use in Tennessee and Texas as well. Oh, and the mustard sauce that's popular in the low country of South Carolina, I like that too.

Aw heck, I like 'em all. What time we eating?

Sauce?????what's that??? I only use sauce on pulled pork.:mrgreen:
We did this one sliced, compared to when we normally do pulled.
I've got one more butt, 4 split hams, and about 10 lbs of sausage left before we're out. Next round of oinkers have about 2 months to go

hooknline":1imq0kl1 said:
I think this was one of the best I've done. Juicy, 6 hrs on the smoker with hickory, good thick bark, smoke ring.....awesome....

Ha ,ya just had to "rub" it in didn't you !!!! :p Wish you had pics, love seeing those juicy barks and nice thick smoke rings on them. It truly is a talent to prepare them perfectly :D

I actually have pulled pork on the barby right now .. :banana: I did a really nice rub, infused it with fresh Italian garlic and seared it. Then triple wrapped in tin foil (sliced sweet white onion to keep it moist) and it has been on indirect heat for the last 6 hours at 275 . Should be ready for dinner in another hour and a half.

You know I still haven't used my brand new smoker, it still has the wrap on it. :( You, Joe and Slick had better be prepared to answer 50 million questions when I finally do use it though. :tiphat:

I think I should send Mr HD down there and you can teach him how to use a smoker .. Just name your price . :wave:

Just send mr hd on a trip..start at slicks, then joes, then here. We'll send him back with 50 million more questions than he had to start with,
I was gonna take pics, but it didn't stay whole very long and one butt looks like the next.
If you've had your pork on that long its no different than smoking it. 220 or so. 165 for sliced, 190 for pulled. I used to used a can that had corn or whatever in it. Leave the lid partially attached. Soak your chips, and fill the can with the chips. Put the can right against the coals and cook indirect. Real real close to full smoking.

Hook,

Once it cools off a little more, i'll drag my smoker out and fire it up. I do things quite different than most. I'll have to post up a few pics of my process.

ok i know i shouldnt have looked at this thread lolol.because now im hungry for a ham lolol.

hillsdown":3ttpmvsx said:
hooknline":3ttpmvsx said:

Ha ,ya just had to "rub" it in didn't you !!!! :p Wish you had pics, love seeing those juicy barks and nice thick smoke rings on them. It truly is a talent to prepare them perfectly :D

I actually have pulled pork on the barby right now .. :banana: I did a really nice rub, infused it with fresh Italian garlic and seared it. Then triple wrapped in tin foil (sliced sweet white onion to keep it moist) and it has been on indirect heat for the last 6 hours at 275 . Should be ready for dinner in another hour and a half.

You know I still haven't used my brand new smoker, it still has the wrap on it. :( You, Joe and Slick had better be prepared to answer 50 million questions when I finally do use it though. :tiphat:

I think I should send Mr HD down there and you can teach him how to use a smoker .. Just name your price . :wave:

come in cheap on that fellas cuz she will pay you a lot more on the other end to keep him after he is trained :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cowboy:

slick you forgot 1 thing,once mr HD taste our texas BBQ he will stay in texas lolol.an HD will have to come to texas to get him.

Ill make it cheap enough for her. 5 bucks, a 12 pack of bud, and a picture of her in those boots :lol2:

hooknline":2ildvhc6 said:
What is it that you do different?

Well, I cook butts like a pork roast. Put the butt, quartered taters, onions, carrots, 1/2 cup of fluid all in a alum. pan. I pour a bottle of a hot type bbq sauce over the whole thing and cover it up with foil. I cook a little hotter and quicker than most do.