Just gonna brush hog the last hay down.

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Been waiting to cut the last 4 acres of first cutting for the last 2 weeks without any luck. Hay blew down about 10 days ago and it has been raining on and off for the last 3 weeks.

Went out and looked at it last night and it is starting to rot where it is on the ground and it's full of snails.

This is the first time in 20 years that I couldn't get all the first cutting off because of the rain. At least I should have a good second cutting to look forward to with all this rain.

We're going to combine the seed off of ours and hope that I can come in behind and bale it.

Millstreaninn, how do you make sure the grass you mow won't get pulled up when you bale second cut?

I have a stemmy overmature field I want to mow, but my neighbors say the grass I cut now will get pulled up when I bale the next cut, ruining the hay. I was thinking mow slowly with my flail mower to chop it finer, then fertilize before a rain.

bja105":5au6f1yu said:
Millstreaninn, how do you make sure the grass you mow won't get pulled up when you bale second cut?I have a stemmy overmature field I want to mow, but my neighbors say the grass I cut now will get pulled up when I bale the next cut, ruining the hay. I was thinking mow slowly with my flail mower to chop it finer, then fertilize before a rain.

It's one of those da.ned if you do and d.mned if you don't situations. If you mow any for hay that has been hogged when heavy you're going to pick up some thatch even if it's from last year. When I've run into that I've found the cows know how to pick though it.

I turned the cows in on what I had planed to bale but couldn't. But I didn't need the hay either.

bja105":ks12on9i said:
Millstreaninn, how do you make sure the grass you mow won't get pulled up when you bale second cut?

I have a stemmy overmature field I want to mow, but my neighbors say the grass I cut now will get pulled up when I bale the next cut, ruining the hay. I was thinking mow slowly with my flail mower to chop it finer, then fertilize before a rain.

What I've done is mow it down and wait a few days then just run over the places where the brush dog may have dragged some and made a pile. You will pick up some in the second cutting, but it is better than trying to dry and bale ALL the rotten stuff that is there now.

Latest posts