Just butchered a good steer.

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
I've been hand feeding him for over a year and he weighed 1250 (Angus x Gelbvieh). Cutout weight was 680 and I got 480lbs meat back.

The butcher said the meat graded high choice so I was pretty happy. Just had some hamburger last night and it was about as dry as any I've butchered in the past. How is there so much more fat in grocery store meat?

M-5":2l6iceks said:
What grind did you ask for . the leanest I want is 80/20

Didn't know that was an option - never thought to ask. It's probably just straight meat.

shaz":2if848d4 said:
M-5":2if848d4 said:
What grind did you ask for . the leanest I want is 80/20

Didn't know that was an option - never thought to ask. It's probably just straight meat.

What you see in the grocery store is typically is 90/10 80/20 or 70/30 70/30 has the best flavor in my opinion but a lot of folks don't know how to make a burger big enough so when shrinkage is accounted for they have a normal patty. Ive heard many times there is too much fat in it and it shrunk . you cant explain that the flavor and moisture come from the fat.

next time you will know.

I guess we'll be adding coconut oil. Having rib eyes tonight and maybe that'll give me some idea what to do next time.

willow bottom":1jk8gbko said:
What did you feed him as a finishing feed?

Mostly a 14% pellet feed with Rumensin around 5lbs/day for about a year and added a couple pounds of corn the last 2 months. He was on pasture the whole time.

shaz":1dp7w66z said:
willow bottom":1dp7w66z said:
What did you feed him as a finishing feed?

Mostly a 14% pellet feed with Rumensin around 5lbs/day for about a year and added a couple pounds of corn the last 2 months. He was on pasture the whole time.
Choice should have considerable marbling so shouldn't be dry. Just don't overcook.

How were the ribeyes? Steer yield was 54.4. If you shrink the str 1250 * .96 = 1200 still 56.6 hard to get a str that lean to grade that high. Take a picture of a ribeye and then google a picture of high choice. See how they compare.

If you liked the steaks nothing else matters.

texan@heart":3vjebdhm said:
How were the ribeyes? Steer yield was 54.4. If you shrink the str 1250 * .96 = 1200 still 56.6 hard to get a str that lean to grade that high. Take a picture of a ribeye and then google a picture of high choice. See how they compare.

If you liked the steaks nothing else matters.

That's basically what I did and I agree with the butcher but I'm no expert and surprised he graded that high.

5S Cattle":75avq57i said:
What's the percentage on your different cuts that you get back? Like how much steak vs brisket vs ground?

I didn't take inventory like I usually do. Time is not on my side.

We have the same problem on a heifer I had to slaughter that had a bad leg. We add some pork sausage to the burger meat to give it some fat and more flavor when making hamburgers.

bird dog":1nrt495z said:
We add some pork sausage to the burger meat to give it some fat and more flavor when making hamburgers.

I like the taste of just beef most of the time but I do that /\ occasionally too.
It adds some extra kick and makes good juicy burgers even with ground beef that has more fat than what shaz indicated.
It makes really good SoaS too.

My locker does a lot of grain fed cattle. If you have a lean one, they will add some trim off of a fat one. It goes in the scrap barrel so no body is out anything and it can make that lean ground into a good eating experience.

Latest posts