Just another Hereford bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Exactly 2 years old, in his working clothes, taken from extremely dry veld, just brought him and another bull in to pasture on yesterday. (the other bull is being fattened for a sale and he is just there for company) He is by no means fat, but in decent condition considering what he had to live on. He is one of those bulls that I would have loved to show, but he just doesn't want to eat grain or any form of concentrated feed at all so getting him to compete as a young bull was always going to be difficult. He is a paternal halfbrother to most of the cattle I've posted recently and probably out of my best cow. He isn't a big bull by any means, probably between a frame 4.5 and 4.8, but he was tall enough to breed frame 6 cows at 15 months old as can be seen in the last pic.

IMG_6308.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

At 15 months old in better times breeding one of my better big cows.
thedeed.jpg

While I think that is the type, I also think that I have liked your other bulls that you have posted before better. I also think he has a loose sheath ( I may not be correct on that). I would like to streach him out a little. Other that that he works.But I am the begginer here.

He isn't the popular type, but he is the cowmaking type, his sheath is good enough, no lazy prepuce there, what you see is mostly hair. He isn't the longest bull ever, his dam isn't either, but he is quite heavy for his size.

His dam as a 4 year old
IMG_5135.jpg

This is his maternal halfsib when she was just over two years old
hvr0705.jpg

full sib at 3 months old
IMG_5287.jpg

Its seldom as simple as looking at a single animal.

Knersie

You just posted a picture of my perfect cow without realizing it. I would take the mother or sis any time :tiphat:

PS The little bull ain't bad either. :clap:

He sure is a HAIRY little bugger. And this is your fall, right?
I love his hind leg. Muscle stays thick & follows right down to his hock area & has great bone.
Good timing on your "breeding" pic.

Knersie,

We have impressed with most of your cattle that we have seen posted. Anyone should be delighted to have a cowherd like the cow just posted.

A handy young bull. My first thoughts were I wanted a photo of the Dam prior to making any comments, but you were already one step ahead. No matter how good the animal is, I dislike making a purchase or opinion unless the functional aspects of his parents can be assessed.
If I was to be 'picky' I'd say the first thing I noticed was he could definitely do with more length and perhaps his flank and hindquarter could be a touch better. Knersie, are you happy with the amount of bone he carries? Or do you prefer to see bulls carry a fraction less?
Either way he is an honest, solid and compact young bull, particularly after covering breeders. I wouldn't want to see too much more condition on him if I was looking to purchase. Quality cattle thanks for posting. I'm only new on here so I look forward to your next post.

Knersie, are you happy with the amount of bone he carries? Or do you prefer to see bulls carry a fraction less?

Herefords here is only ever a medium bone breed, I select for a medium to medium plus bone as it gives more surface area for muscle attachment, the downside is that nothing increases BW like bone does, but my herd has very low BW so I can probably afford to use heavier boned bulls. The bull in question weighed 36 kg at birth, his sire's progeny average at 34 kg in multiple herds, so his bone doesn't bother me at all. I posted a young bull a week or so ago that has much more bone than he does who is also sired by the same bull.

I think his dam and full sib have more eye appeal than he does.

I think both his full and maternal halfsib has more eye appeal than he does, his older maternal halfsib was shown succesfully as a bred heifer as well as a junior with a calf at side, his fullsister will be part of next year's showstring as she really is a very goodlooking heifer. His dam on the other hand isn't the prettiest cow I own, but I'd take 50 more of her, i think he takes after her. ;-) Although a little more condition on him will make him a pretty decent looking bull, but I can't tell mother nature what to do, the last measurable rain we've had was in November, I'm just about all out of irrigation water, all my hay burnt in a recent runaway fire and its getting cold already.

KNERSIE":2fzx0hf3 said:
but I can't tell mother nature what to do, the last measurable rain we've had was in November, I'm just about all out of irrigation water, all my hay burnt in a recent runaway fire and its getting cold already.

you have to find the positive in your situation... nothing like rock bottom or your back up against a wall to find out what you are made of not to mention your cows. could be worse... you could have a herd of those hard doing cattle.

did someone question the 2 year olds ability breed larger framed cattle?

so how many females was he exposed to and for how long on the veld and what was his bcs drop from start to pull. maybe its my screen but i don't think he looks short bodied.

what happened to the bull you pic at weaning that was either half sib to the test centre bull?

Hereford76":3ob83t3w said:
KNERSIE":3ob83t3w said:
but I can't tell mother nature what to do, the last measurable rain we've had was in November, I'm just about all out of irrigation water, all my hay burnt in a recent runaway fire and its getting cold already.

you have to find the positive in your situation... nothing like rock bottom or your back up against a wall to find out what you are made of not to mention your cows. could be worse... you could have a herd of those hard doing cattle.

The drought is getting desperate here, we are supposed to have hot dry summers, but its two months into the wet season and not a drop or a blade of grass yet and they are predicting snow for this weekend already. I doubt we'll get any except for the tops of the mountains, but it still means we should expect frost starting in the next few days. I need to up my numbers and went looking at two herds last week, one was on average a BCS of 1 and the other 2, if i can get hold of some straw I might still be interested in buying a few head, but the risk of not maintaining pregnancies when moved in that condition greatly increases. If I can't find straw to buy then it is about getting my own cattle through the winter and I won't be looking to increase numbers.

did someone question the 2 year olds ability breed larger framed cattle?

Not at 2, but a yearling bull's abilit to reach is often question on the boards.

so how many females was he exposed to and for how long on the veld and what was his bcs drop from start to pull. maybe its my screen but i don't think he looks short bodied.

He was used on 21 females at 15 months for 66 days and gained weight. Got redwater in February and that has pulled him back a lot. I wouldn't go as far as saying he is shortcoupled, but an extra inch or two wouldn't have hurt.

what happened to the bull you pic at weaning that was either half sib to the test centre bull?

He's still here, I was forced to drylot the buls and have decided I might as well get two other breeders to cooperate and we are doing a joint growth test at muy place. They are two weeks into the adapting stage and apart from being black from head to toe because of te blowing ash and soot he looks good.

Latest posts