jumpy/scared calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
i baught a 2 month old 150 -200lb angus heifer calf, the guy said the mother died so he had to sell it.i am holding in a small square pen for now, It is really scared and jumpy, and its still crying for it mother. i thought about bottle feeding it for a few weeks but i cant get it to drink because it runs away. The calf is also to strong to just hold down and feed. The main reason i want to bottle feed it is to tame it and make it less scared because it may end up hurting itself. Any Ideas on how to get it to calm down, tame it, and get used to me?

Get it some companions- cattle don't do well by themselves as a general rule. Some goats would work if you don't want more calves

Also get it a good high quality grain mix (sweet feed) to eat. Gotta start sometimes and should already be eating. A good textured horse feed would be ok.

Spne a lot of time with it. Get a chair and just sit outside the pen for now and read outloud. After it settles into that, move inside and do the same thing. Let it come to you. Give it some grain and hang around while it eats it, plus get it a buddy.

I agree with what Dun said. I have had to do the same thing myself. Just sat in a chair and talked to it. Also sat nearby when it started to eat feed from the bunk.

Keep him tied up for a couple of weeks on a rope about ten foot long. Makes life so much easier.

Latest posts