Jug fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I ' ve been wanting to go on a jug fishin trip . A friend of mine says they have been using those child foam swimming noodles cut into about 12 inch pieces. They just tie the string through the whole in the middle of them. Any of yawl try this technique?

Better cut them 16 or 18 inches. A 40lb cat can carry a 12inch noodel under and hold it for about 10 minutes. That's long enough to over look it while you running up the lake looking for them.Tie your string on one end, that way when you get a fish on, it will stand straight up. Also put a swivel about 6 inches from the hook, if you dont a catfish will unroll your line. Also make your line about 10 feet long. The best bait is cut up bream or yellow tail shad.

I have used those type of jugs and here's how I made them:

1. Cut swimming noodles into 12" pieces
2. Cut a 3/4" PVC pipe into 18" segments - apply glue to the pipe, then stick it in the noodle
3. Drill a small hole near the bottom of the PVC pipe - then thread string thru the hole
4. Tie on a KAHLE hook- I highly recommend using a Kahle hook so the fish do not get off
5. I've baited with shrimp, chicken hearts, and liver

They work and they are fun to use.
Don't worry about catching MONSTER cats on them that will drag them under - if a fish is that big you don't want it- but I assure you it will have to be a big boy to hold that noodle under for a long time.

heck put several hooks on them, and make them long enough that they go all the way to the bottom, with a piece of re-bar for weight, put several hooks on it, you can sometimes catch more than one, bait it with shrimp, shad, beef hearts, or whatever will stay on the hook. the foam works really well if you get the larger foam. make about 15 of them sink em and come back to them in an hour, check, rebait, and repeat

Sugarman, you and I have the same technique except I use live bream or goldfish so I can catch those big flatheads. I love noodle fishing. I got about 50 set up and I'll drop them out and wait. Since I tie in on one side, the noodle will stand upright when it gets hit. Its terrific fun. Best I ever got was a 25 lb flathead and man did we have a feast. I just wish DNR didn't frown on drinking beer while you are in a boat cause if you could legally do this I'd be in hog heaven.

Denoginnizer, you are going to love it. Best make up some like sugarman said otherwise you will be untangling knots and are liable to get a hook in your foot.

I have only seen it done with gallon milk jugs with the line tied to the handle. It was way back before swimming noodles.

STARTED USEING 2 LT DRINK BOTTLES, WITH A RUBBER BAND. SLIDE THE RUBBER BAND DOWN OVER THE LARGER PART OF THE BOTTLE WHICH WILL HOLD THE LINE NEXT TO THE BOTTLE. THE JUG WILL STAND UP UNTIL A FISH GETS ON. THEN THE RUBBER BAND SLIDES BACK DOWN ON THE NECK. YOU CAN EVEN PUT REFLECTIVE TAPE ON THE OUTSIDE AND PAINT THE INSIDE. YOU SHOULD TRY YOYO'S ON A TREE LIMB. YOU CAN GET'M AT WAL-MART, BASS-PRO. THE DARKER COLOR PANFISH SEEM TO WORK BETTER FOR ME DOWN HERE IN SOUTH MS. HAVE FUN AND TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU! :tiphat:

Sugarman":14rd66ru said:
I took a picture of one of the swimming noodle jugs - I hope this picture helps-

We have about 75 or 80 of these made up. We drop the off in a line where the deepwaer rises up to a shelf about 12 - 15 feet deep. We back off to one end so we can wach the whole line. When one starts acting up and getting out of line we crank the boat up and go see what we have.

Nowland Farms":4sesvlgv said:
Sugarman":4sesvlgv said:
I took a picture of one of the swimming noodle jugs - I hope this picture helps-

We have about 75 or 80 of these made up. We drop the off in a line where the deepwaer rises up to a shelf about 12 - 15 feet deep. We back off to one end so we can wach the whole line. When one starts acting up and getting out of line we crank the boat up and go see what we have.

What type of fish do you normally catch? catfish?

I think a 40to 50 pound flat head is going to keep them noodles down for a while. Seen them take 2 liter bottles down for a pretty good little bit.

Latest posts