Judd Ranch Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross breeder #1

Reaction score
What do you think of the Judd Ranch Program? I am thinking of buying a pair of Red Gelbvieh Bulls to make replacements and a Red Angus for a heifer bull. I noticed some real high WW numbers (a lot at 750# 205 day) and that is real high when you look at the same bulls yearling frame being a 5.0

My pick of all of the bulls is out of a 17 year old dam :cowboy: and had a actual BW of 76# and WW of 954# a 205 day weight of 833. Yearling Scrotal 41.7 cm and 7.16 ADG on test YW 1321 and 5.0 Frame :bang: :bang: I want him bad :D

Cross breeder #1":1mn67p34 said:
What do you think of the Judd Ranch Program? I am thinking of buying a pair of Red Gelbvieh Bulls to make replacements and a Red Angus for a heifer bull. I noticed some real high WW numbers (a lot at 750# 205 day) and that is real high when you look at the same bulls yearling frame being a 5.0

My pick of all of the bulls is out of a 17 year old dam :cowboy: and had a actual BW of 76# and WW of 954# a 205 day weight of 833. Yearling Scrotal 41.7 cm and 7.16 ADG on test YW 1321 and 5.0 Frame :bang: :bang: I want him bad :D

Just me but those numbers are not achievable without an unbelievable amount of feed. If your program will bear that kind of cost then they are the cattle for you.

BTW what's his AMGV #

seedstock plus sells this weekend some real good bulls there if you need a red angus heifer bull PM me got one. As for that judd ranch sale numbers can sometimes look great with corn backing them. your call but not my cup of tea.

Cross breeder #1":1imcx2ii said:

The Judd Ranch operation is obviously an outstanding "cattle factory"! The statistics presented here generally throughout are spectacular compared to the average 'run-of-the-mill" ranch, and the figures are eye-popping. But, as has been said previously on this thread, and others as well, the results produced take an incredible amount of feed to present the finished product that the Judds are capable of doing. If you will carefully study the various traits and characteristics, as well as the stated diet that the cattle are fed, it becomes obvious that their "cost of production , not only feed, but labor, paddocks, hay harvesting, corn production and machinery with which to achieve and realize these remarkabke results is focused toward the eyed-popping results that they obtain. I take nothing away from the cattle - they are the result of a careful genetic and well-balanced plan of matings and breeding management.

BUT - the costs involved in these results MUST be taken into consideeration by potential buyers in order to prepare them for results that perhaps will not match or even compare with what the Judd Ranch has been able to produce. It takes exceptional EPD,s and genetic balancing to be able to present cattle such as these on a regular production basis. If the purchaser realizes what is involved to duplicate these results, more power to him! That is the name of the cattle breeding game. But PROFIT after expenses is a tough row to hoe, and fore-warned is fore-armed.

"Cost of Production" and "Feed Efficiency" will spell the difference between success and failure in your operation.

DOC HARRIS

I credit the Judds because they produce some very attractive cattle and do a great job marketing them. They had some of the most attractive Gelbvieh and Balancer bulls in Denver last month. Though I don't know Dave and Cindy Judd personally, I have also been told that they are very nice folks who are good to work with.

However, several producers have told me that they weren't able to duplicate the Judd's heavy weaning weights, and didn't get as good of breed back on the females as the Judd's do. I have also used some Judd bulls in my herd via AI and have not had much success with the cattle, and don't have any daughters sired by Judd bulls in my herd. As others have previously stated, I suspect it is because my cows are expected to perform on grass and hay. From what I have been told the Judd cows not only have some of the very best grass available in the country due to their location in the Flint Hills of Kansas, but the cows are provided supplemental feed, which allows for good milk production (heavy weaning weights) and excellent breed back of the females.

Unless you are willing to provide your cows with lots of groceries, I would encourage you to find a seedstock provider that raises cattle successfully under similar environment and management conditions as you do.

I ran into the same thing when I was looking at simmi bulls.... 950 lb WW and 1400yw.. I just know that's not on grass alone. Which begs the question "how accurate are EPDs and stats even within a breed"

From my experience, my BEST cows get to 700ww on grass alone, occasionally 750 on a bull calf, and they have hybrid vigor on their side. I don't believe any purebred herd can be leaps and bounds beyond that without a LOT of grain.

I haven't seen these Judd animals, they sound nice, but will they perform at your place which is the important thing

I read where the Judd's raise their own feed. They have a big row cropping operation in addition to their cattle program. They raise and mix their own feed. I suppose that makes feeding a bit cheaper than buying bulk feed from a mill. It seems to work for them.

That is great, but those animals ought to be on a dinner plate. There should be more people with a variety of crops. I just don't think overfed bulls represent their genetic potential in the typical operation

Latest posts