Joy of loading calves..

Help Support CattleToday:

ive pulled a tarzan an slammed into the corral a time or 2.got lucky that i didnt bust any ribbs or ripp out my shoulder.

Oh I have ripped out my shoulder on another good move about 4 years ago.. got 4 screws holding it together now. :|

Getting that gate shut on the trailer before the tide turns is always my greatest concern. Hearing your description of what happened paints a pretty good picture in my head of what happened. I hate to admit it, but had I been there, after I saw you were OK and nothing seriously hurt, I'd have laughed my A off with you. (Granted I probably would have waited a few hours and would have had the tact to even wait till you had a couple of beers I provided but in hindsight its funny) Glad you are OK TARZAN. ;-)

Thanks for the well wishes Jo.. "Jane" is doing her best to take care of me but only time will really heal the ribs. As far as my facilities go, sure they could be better, but it takes time and money, and the biggest problem was just not having another person there like we usually do. My son had to work that day early, so he wasnt available. Just the way it goes at times...

dun":1wegv5iw said:
Getting realistic, calves are morons. They haven;t been handled as much and don;t know the drill like a yearling or older animal.

Aint that the truth.

When I move mine across the county road changing pasture, the calves are just looking for a train wreck. The cows are across in no time. The calves are out then in, half up the road the other half down. Just a mess. Using cubes and leading the cows 100 yards into the pasture seems to help. That seems to entice the calves but you still get the crazy ones. Heaven forbid if a car should come down the road.

Mike - On a more serious note, while most cracked ribs don't require intervention you probably do need an x-ray to make sure something isn't broken that could end up poking into something important like a lung!!!

BB

I guess if it does poke me in the lung, I will soon know...ha.
I am not much for getting x-rays... had enough to last a lifetime, in addition to CT-scans, MRI's, and all that junk. I am feeling better now... just dont need to get punched in the side yet.

Kinda funny running across this post while I'm icing down the bruise to the bone on my left leg.
Overzealous Heifer didn't like her new ear ring Sat. Go Figure.
First one nailed me butt good, I moved faster the rest of the day don't cha know.
I feel yer pain just in a different spot.

Funny how one run-in with one will make your step a little quicker the rest of the day. (That is if it dont nail you down the first time)

Limomike":1qmy6an6 said:
I guess if it does poke me in the lung, I will soon know...ha.
I am not much for getting x-rays... had enough to last a lifetime, in addition to CT-scans, MRI's, and all that junk. I am feeling better now... just dont need to get punched in the side yet.
you've undoutbly rodeo'ed in the past. can't count myself how many time's ive layed on the table