Joint Ill, or Naval Ill

Help Support CattleToday:

Lawson Farms

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a calf w/ Joint Ill? Severe swelling in joints in hind legs and one front elbow. Vet says Joint Ill, infection thru naval at birth that settles in the joints. I've got her on a agressive antibiotic plan, and I'm hoping she will make it. I was just seeing if anyone ever had one of these. This is the first I've seen.

I know there have been people here who've had it.. I had a sort of navel infection on one of mine this spring that I think got in through the castration band rather than the navel (showed up at about a month old, a week after banding), 1 shot of LA200 cleared it up, but I think if it's in the joints it doesn't work too well and you need other stuff.

We had navel ill once. Massive doses of penicillian twice a day for a month cleared it up. She went on to be a productive cow with no issues. Once it has gotten to the joints I haven;t seen one clear up and go on to be productive. Most of them have ended up being shot as calves cause they only got worse.

I had one a number of years ago, that I had brought home from work. She only had one joint mildly affected, her left front knee. As dun said, lots of penicillin and TLC and she grew off to be a nice productive cow.

That's my main concern is if she'll end up being productive. She has progressed since the weekend to being able to slightly walk or hobble, but doesn't put weight on rear left leg. Back legs are really stiff, front right is somewhat stiff but better. 2 shots / day of Penicillan + 1 shot per day of Polyflex. We have to pick her up, but she has been nursing well. Vet said give her atleast 3 weeks of treatment to have a shot of making it.

Some of them will recover and be productive. Some won't. All you can do is try.

Entry of bacteria can be through the navel - and through the eponychium and soft soles of the newborn's hooves. We advocate spraying dipping navels AND feet - with iodine or other antiseptic, when attending calvings/foalings.
Often, it's also an indicator of partial or full failure of passive transfer of maternal antibodies(FPT) - either they didn't get enough colostrum, colostrum quality was poor, or were stressed to the point that they did not absorb colostral antibodies adequately.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you'd be giving Penicillin and Polyflex(ampicillin) at the same time; both have similar mode of action(ampicillin is a semi-synthetic penicillin formulation), though ampicillin probably has a broader spectrum of activity.

Best answer as to why I'm giving both is that's what the Dr. ordered :). I really didn't ask him any verification as to why both when the vet told me what to give him. This is the first that I've seen naval ill, and I was late in getting meds in the calf b/c I didn't recognize what was going on. Hopefully we'll see great improvements and she'll grow to be a great cow.

Lawson Farms":y112d9xb said:
Best answer as to why I'm giving both is that's what the Dr. ordered :). I really didn't ask him any verification as to why both when the vet told me what to give him. This is the first that I've seen naval ill, and I was late in getting meds in the calf b/c I didn't recognize what was going on. Hopefully we'll see great improvements and she'll grow to be a great cow.
That's my hope too. I might be a big ol marshamallow, but when I've nursed a calf for a while I get really attached to it. I really don;t understand how someone wouldn't

We've never had good results out of a animal after joint ill.. They tend to be arthritic. This past year we had 2, one at birth and one in a joint infection in a front feltlock. Our vet drained the joints, one had 8 affected. Although he looked normal in all his joints, he walked stiff and was docked at the sale barn. He also didnt grow well, was stunted. I could spot him in the herd of almost 100 black calves just by how he stood. The other calf's ankle swelled to the size of a basketball. Was treated 4 times with a DMSO wash. Husband almost put a bullet in his head. But over 3 months, the swelling went down to a grapefruit sized joint. He didnt grow well either, but did make it over 500 pounds....amazingly, he sold well at the salebarn. I guess it had gone down enough and he didnt favor it enough for anyone to notice. He brought almost top price for his weight.

Latest posts