John Deere running scared

Help Support CattleToday:

sizmic

Reaction score
Got word John Deere is getting scared and is offering very large incentives for trade-in tractors of comparable size and use. Was told I could trade my Kubota M126 in and possibly get $8000 discount off the bat. I told them, "No thanks."

Sizmic

John Deere makes more money selling hats and clothes than most tractor companies make selling tractors. Kubota makes a good hay tractor, but their not in the same class as a John Deere. When you get over 100+hp nothing comes close to a JD.

highgrit":s38w5shf said:
John Deere makes more money selling hats and clothes than most tractor companies make selling tractors. Kubota makes a good hay tractor, but their not in the same class as a John Deere. When you get over 100+hp nothing comes close to a JD.
I agree, but under 100hp I will take a kubota.

highgrit":1lwucpfo said:

:bs: Kubotas don't weight less than the same size JD, they will pick up the same or more weight at the three point, and they usually have more pto hp with the same engine hp. I here everyone talking about how light Kubotas are but everyone else is building lighter tractors too. Don't take my word for it.
http://www.tractordata.com

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against John Deere tractors, they just aren't what they used to be and no better than any other name brand tractor on the market.

[/quote]
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against John Deere tractors, they just aren't what they used to be and no better than any other name brand tractor on the market.[/quote]

:bs:

B&M Farms":zchw948l said:
highgrit":zchw948l said:

:bs: Kubotas don't weight less than the same size JD, they will pick up the same or more weight at the three point, and they usually have more pto hp with the same engine hp. I here everyone talking about how light Kubotas are but everyone else is building lighter tractors too. Don't take my word for it.

From tractordata.com

Kubota M9540 wt. 5,095-6,175 Engine hp. 95, PTO hp. 84

JD 6120 wt 9,350 Engine hp. 80 PTO hp. 65

Cabo":ql97qe2o said:
B&M Farms":ql97qe2o said:
highgrit":ql97qe2o said:

From tractordata.com

Kubota M9540 wt. 5,095-6,175 Engine hp. 95, PTO hp. 84

JD 6120 wt 9,350 Engine hp. 80 PTO hp. 65

The JD 5093 would be closer to the same years as a M9540
5093 wt. 7385 95hp 75pto hp /rear lift at 24" 3213lbs /
M9540 wt. 6175 95hp 84pto hp rear lift at 24" 4630lbs

Kubota didn't make a 80 hp tractor around the same time as the 6120(which is a good JD).
They did make a M95x
95hp 9050lbs.

I just said they were all getting lighter including JDs. The M126 in the original thread weighs 10141lbs. A JD 6125 weighs 10120lbs. I have an old MF1135 that weighs 18,000 and I bet a new MF the same size does good to weigh 11,000.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against John Deere tractors, they just aren't what they used to be and no better than any other name brand tractor on the market.[/quote]

:bs:[/quote]
hightree im not raking your tractor of choice over the coals and that 8410 you posted once is a hell for stout tractor. Its just when you look at about any of them in the last couple years they have all started getting lighter. I've been looking because I plan on buying around a 100hp this spring to replace the MF1135 and i looked at a Kubota M100x, 9960 and the JD5101E. The Kubota M100x is the heaviest.

I just about have to get another tractor. I hate to, but mine needs one of everything. I looked at a JD 5065E. I know it is some sort of an economy model. I also looked at an IH 75A, also an economy model. Neither one of them were impressive to walk around. It almost looked like you could tear the hoods off with your hands. I am more interested in the 5065, just for resale value. Which brings me to my point----------Used tractors are high, almost as high as new. For the price difference, I would rather have new.

B&M you compare tractors like the Kubota dealer does. Take the heaviest Kubota and the lightest JD. My neighbor bought a new Kubota 7040 decked out. And when he got it home it would not pull my 4 shank bottom plow. Now is when the story gets good, he always used my 5400 JD with the same plow to break his garden every year. The Kubota is a 4cyl. and the JD is a 3cyl. engine. He went back to the dealer and told them the problem, they said he needed to load the tires. They came and picked his tractor up brought it to Baxley and loaded the tires. Got it back and it still wouldn't pull the plow. I like Kubota and I own one but comparing apples to apples, there both good tractors.

I have to agree with hg on the fact that they are all getting lighter. They are moving the weight that is there farther forward. I do not understand why you have to weight down the rearend on a 150hp tractor to move 1800lb round bales safely.

highgrit":ac42oh43 said:
B&M you compare tractors like the Kubota dealer does. Take the heaviest Kubota and the lightest JD. My neighbor bought a new Kubota 7040 decked out. And when he got it home it would not pull my 4 shank bottom plow. Now is when the story gets good, he always used my 5400 JD with the same plow to break his garden every year. The Kubota is a 4cyl. and the JD is a 3cyl. engine. He went back to the dealer and told them the problem, they said he needed to load the tires. They came and picked his tractor up brought it to Baxley and loaded the tires. Got it back and it still wouldn't pull the plow. I like Kubota and I own one but comparing apples to apples, there both good tractors.

highgrit JD stopped building the 5400 in 1997. Kubota started building the M7040 in 2007. A newer JD around the same size like the 5075 weighs the same as the M7040. All Im saying is anyone trying to replace an older tractor is going to have a hard time finding one that weighs the same as their older one with the same hp regardless of brand.

Moving extra weight around requires more fuel. I remember towing a trailer from Arizona to Maine. There was a formula to predict the increase in fuel use based on the weight of the trailer. It was right on. If you need the weight, then the extra fuel consumption is worth it, if not, it is just a waste (as long as the parts are made heavy enough not to break)
PS: I own two M-9540s, they burn ~2 gal. per hour pulling a mower or 4x5 round baler at PTO speed.

B&M Farms":lgyw4r2v said:
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against John Deere tractors, they just aren't what they used to be and no better than any other name brand tractor on the market.

:bs:[/quote]
hightree im not raking your tractor of choice over the coals and that 8410 you posted once is a be nice for stout tractor. Its just when you look at about any of them in the last couple years they have all started getting lighter. I've been looking because I plan on buying around a 100hp this spring to replace the MF1135 and i looked at a Kubota M100x, 9960 and the JD5101E. The Kubota M100x is the heaviest.[/quote]

B&M thanks for the compliment on my 8410. I agree they are geting lighter as the years progress. I truly do not have a specific tractor I always purchase I have longs new holland case MF john deere ford farmall I just like tractors in general. It just so happens that my row crop farming equip is mostly Deere. My next tractor I buy will be orange because I never owned one but I have owned mostly everything else. When row crop farming you want a nice heavy durable tractor which is why I have deere. If I ever stop paying extra for the green paint I may try case. The only thing I really dislike about JD is the price lol

If you compare the Kubota to the lighter Deere (5000 series) of course the Kubota is heavier. Compare any Kubota of comparable size that you can find to the Deere 6R or 6M series- no contest.
Deere has had to start making lighter and cheaper tractors in Georgia and Mexico to be able to compete price wise wit the other brands.
Yes weight in a tractor is a good thing. For one, you aren't as likely to tear it up when doing loader work

Latest posts