john deere round baler

Help Support CattleToday:

tiger hunter

Reaction score
are the late model john deere balers like the 7 or 8 series.as good as everyone says.have always used vermeer and new holland round balers.but not a john deere yet.getting service for any of the balers is not a problem in my area.

I've been running a 467 for 5 years now. Love it. After we got the kinks worked out the first year, there have been no more problems.

I would buy another today if I were not going to keep this one forever.

grannysoo":fn3p9ctf said:
I've been running a 467 for 5 years now. Love it. After we got the kinks worked out the first year, there have been no more problems.

I would buy another today if I were not going to keep this one forever.

I bought a 458 this year but have only run 400 through it so far. Mine needed adjustment on the twin arm to make it cut the twin every time. Another kink is the opening of the gate. When it is full and I open the gate to dump the roll some times it hange as soon as I try to open it. I have to bump it closed and then open it. Any idea what is wrong?
What bugs did you have with yours?

alabama":1xtyjsev said:
I bought a 458 this year but have only run 400 through it so far. Mine needed adjustment on the twin arm to make it cut the twin every time. Another kink is the opening of the gate. When it is full and I open the gate to dump the roll some times it hange as soon as I try to open it. I have to bump it closed and then open it. Any idea what is wrong?
What bugs did you have with yours?

The sensors for the bale-trac monitor needed adjusting, the actuator for the netwrap had to be replaced, and a spring was "missing" from the time we got it. The biggest bug I had with it was the operator learning to use it. :lol:

I don't know of any reason the gate would hang when trying to open it. If it does not close good, you need to clean the debris out from around the locking mechanism.

Do you see anything binding or paint wearing off anywhere that would indicate something being in a bind?

Also....... make sure that your pto is always on when opening. If the pto is not running and the belts are not moving, it will bind.

I can't find any paint missing nor can I find anything binding. I keep the PTO running all the time.
It only does it when it is full though. I need to call John Deere and let them know so that they can come out in the spring and check it out. It should still be under waranty.

That's what warranty is for. :nod:

Another thought - if you're rolling large bales (over 64" tall), opening can get a little quirky. Good luck.

grannysoo":1fvstuv1 said:
That's what warranty is for. :nod:

Another thought - if you're rolling large bales (over 64" tall), opening can get a little quirky. Good luck.
I'm not familiar with the baler, but I was thinking something similar. Maybe and adjustment needs to be made to the gate lock mechanism to ensure it unlatches with enough clearance.

it could be the hydraulics on your tractor bleeding off a little and letting the gate put pressure on the latch
try moving your hyd lever to close the gate position then move it to the open position to open the gate before just pulling it to open

I had one tractor in particular that you had to do this on every bale

Latest posts