John Deere Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
I have a 2011 JD 5065E (bought it bout 8 months ago). I sprayed pastures last Thursday (Bout 4 hours). Have not used the tractor since, today I went to get it out to move a bulk feed bag, and it would not start, not even an attempt to start. My first thought was the battery (even though the lights work), put a charger on it for about 4 hours and nothing! I'm NOT an mechanic, but I've done all I know to do. I suspected it some feature on the tractor preventing it from starting.
Then, I noticed when I turn the ignition key fully to crank the Air Restriction Indicator comes on, never noticed it on before.
I assume the air filter needs to be cleaned, my question, if the indicator comes on, is that also preventing the engine from starting? And will cleaning the filter solve the issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
(I emptied the feed bag by hand...not fun!)

That light probably comes on when the tractor isn't running just so you can see if it works.. shouldn't prevent it from running.

My first guess would be operator error... neutral/clutch/PTO safety.. some have a seat sensor like lawn tractors.. It's something that could easily be forgotten if you haven't used it much and for a long time

Second guess would be mice chewing a wire somewhere!

Google told me - The air filter restriction system won't keep the starter from cranking. Not sure what your problem is, but I would suspect possible low voltage from a dirty connection, bad battery cable or battery. Start by cleaning battery connections, including where the ground cable attaches to the frame. If no better, then I would try jump starting it or installing a known good battery. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at large terminal on starter while trying to crank.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/ ... d-out.html

Sounds like neutral start. Check PTO switch make sure it didnt get bumped. If it is Power Reverser make sure that is in neutral could be a bad direction selenoid there. Electrical issues are a PITA.

Problem found...Problem solved. I talked to some guys on Thursday at the stockyard, three of them are JD owners. Two of the guys had similar problem in the past. One of them came by my farm, we tried his theory and Bingo.
The problem was the Cold Start Aid Switch had gone bad, which caused a fuse to shoot (tractor will not start).
Solution: 1.remove shot fuse 2.unplug the CSAS 3.replace fuse (tractor will now start) 4.replace the CSAS.
Pretty amazing, I talked to three dealerships, each one had a different idea, but all wanted to come pick up the tractor (for a service fee) then I talk to a group of farmers much like most of you and get immediate results!
Pretty simple fix...part cost was $55
Thanks

Latest posts