John Deere putt putt

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":1iyfiqtp said:
Update, bought a JD720 diesel with a pony motor today. After looking all over the US I found one within 2 miles of home. It aint perfect but price was cheap. Already been offered double money for it. Thanks to all who looked for one for me.
Pics! How much work does it need, Kenny? And does the pony motor work (you're darn lucky if it does, cuz most of those old JD's with a pony -- the pony is trashed.) My book says they only made the 720 for 3 yrs. Anyway, congrats. You've joined those of us that bleed green.

Kathie, The pony runs but seems very weak. Probably will have it looked at. Everything else looks ok. Only 200 hours on the engine rebuild. It also has duels for the rear. Never saw one before. But never saw a 720 until recently.

kenny thomas":309bwqzi said:
Kathie, The pony runs but seems very weak. Probably will have it looked at. Everything else looks ok. Only 200 hours on the engine rebuild. It also has duels for the rear. Never saw one before. But never saw a 720 until recently.
Hmmmm. Don't know about the duals. . .

If you have the serial no. (well, it will have one -- should be right side of tractor in front of and below pulley), you can get from the JD site/archives, the date that tractor was built, and the date that it was shipped to: ______ -- JD can tell you. They used to charge $10 for that.

kenny thomas":ozzvtfng said:
Update, bought a JD720 diesel with a pony motor today. After looking all over the US I found one within 2 miles of home. It aint perfect but price was cheap. Already been offered double money for it. Thanks to all who looked for one for me.

Kenny, below might give you a short-cut to JD Archives (I went to JD's current page, and did not find a reference to their archives dept.), and give you an idea what info they maintain.

I've blocked out the SN of one the 'R' tractors I had -- there are serial no. thieves out there! They used to charge $10 to run the history; don't know if that's the same today, but you could email or call JD and find out.

Your letter was received today, and per your request, here is the
information we have on this model R tractor:

MODEL: R
SERIAL NUMBER: 11XXXX
WAREHOUSE DATE: 12/12/1951
SHIP DATE: 12/14/1951
BRANCH: Minneapolis, MN
DESTINATION: Echo, MN

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Neil Dahlstrom
Reference Archivist
Deere & Company Archives
One John Deere Place
Moline, IL 61265
(309) 765-2752 Voice
(309) 765-2751 Fax
[email protected]

I would suggest a LP 70 with power steering and roll-o-matic (narrow front end). It is the first series that came out with 3-point and LP. The LP was easy to start, even on the coldest days...I drove one of those for many years when I was young...but my favorite was a G, and there may be a conversion for the 3-point..but this model did not have factory LP..

Update again, Had a rollback pick it up and bring it to the shop. I had never looked to see how many hours it had on it. The guy I have working on it said it sure is tight and in good shape. We looked and it has 837 hours on it. A 1957 JD 720 diesel with 837 hours is unheard of. But as we have been checking things out it seems that it might be correct. I have already been offered 6 times more than I gave for it. But i did buy it pretty cheap. :lol2:
We have had it running but are now changing all the fluids and fuel to made sure everything is ok. Yes I know we should have done that first but I wanted to make sure it would run first. Will send jed or Angus Cowman some pics soon and let them post them. I still cant seem to get the hang of pics.

Latest posts