John Deere putt putt

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Been thinking for a while about getting a John Deere 2 cylinder tractor. jedstivers had a very nice one in the driveway when I was there last winter and I kinda got the fever. I would like to have one in usable shape with a 3 point lift. Im sure some of the people on here have one so what are the good and the bad ones to have. Price is not the issue but it also does not have to be perfect. Size dont really matter as much as that i like it. Heck probably just gonna ride it and listen to the putt putt anyway. :lol:

I am fond of the "L" model.

My grandfather quit farming with mules's in the late 30's early 40's. He sold his mule and bought an L. A few months later the mule returned home on his own. My grandfather said he waited to see if the fellow was coming to find his mule but he never did. He sold the mule again. He would say that one dang mule paid for that model L.

0c297589.jpg

Arent the 2 cyl the ones they call a Poppin Johnny (Johnny Popper)?

If you want a 3pt then get a deere in the hundred series, they will work much harder than the letter series hands down, yes I drive a G so I am not pickin on letters

If you want something with power steering and 3pth , check into the 20 or 30 series ( 420-430 , 520-530 , 620-630 ) I would like to get a 620 or 630 myself someday just to just to fool around with . If you get one with a narrow front just be careful on your hills.

shorty":bzx3hccu said:
If you want something with power steering and 3pth , check into the 20 or 30 series ( 420-430 , 520-530 , 620-630 ) I would like to get a 620 or 630 myself someday just to just to fool around with . If you get one with a narrow front just be careful on your hills.

I sold out my small collection of JD 2-cylinders over the last couple years. Two Rs went away, an AR went away, two Gs went away, and a B went away. I kept a 420-U and we use it all the time. Had I been able to find an 80 -- which was the step up after the R -- that would have been my dream machine!

Still looking, kinda decided I would like a 720. But a 620 might be ok. Been looking at ytmag.com and have found a few but nothing real close home. Hate to drive 1,000 miles and find out I dont like it.

kenny thomas":702xgd7y said:
Still looking, kinda decided I would like a 720. But a 620 might be ok. Been looking at ytmag.com and have found a few but nothing real close home. Hate to drive 1,000 miles and find out I dont like it.
Also see:

Johnnypopper.com
yesterdaystractors.com (part of ytmag, I think)
tractorshed.com
www.atis.net

I bleed green. Good luck!

Owning a John Deer 2-cylinder is a great experience. They are fun to ride and generally pretty easy to work on. Plus they sound great, especially when idling at a very low RPM.

BE CAREFUL! Owning a 2-cylinder can be very addictive! My Dad and I purchased a 1936 Model B in 1992, which we restored and drove in few local parades. Now we have over 150 2-cylinders. :bang:

Jake B":1lkrmpg4 said:
Owning a John Deer 2-cylinder is a great experience. They are fun to ride and generally pretty easy to work on. Plus they sound great, especially when idling at a very low RPM.

BE CAREFUL! Owning a 2-cylinder can be very addictive! My Dad and I purchased a 1936 Model B in 1992, which we restored and drove in few local parades. Now we have over 150 2-cylinders. :bang:

Just send me your address, Im sure I can find something there to suit my needs. :lol2:

Update, bought a JD720 diesel with a pony motor today. After looking all over the US I found one within 2 miles of home. It aint perfect but price was cheap. Already been offered double money for it. Thanks to all who looked for one for me.

Latest posts