John Deere 70

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattleman200

Reaction score
My dad purchased a JD 70 in 1953. I recently had a dealer tell me based on the serial number that they made around 3000-3500 70`s and that this one was the 77th one made. The tractor is in good working condition. It has been barn kept and I also have a full set of planters and some other JD equipment. I have the original bill of sale on this tractor that proves it is a one owner. I looked on yesterdaystractors.com I believe it was and on the JD registry it is unofficially the 12th oldest 70 in the USA and Canada. It could possibly be the oldest one owner 70 on record based on some of the things I saw on the website. Any ideas on what this tractor might be worth or where I might look to find out? Im not in a hurry to sell. I am just curious about it. I am the only one left in my family you might say and when I am gone it might get sold for peanuts. I might as well elplore my options on it now while I can. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":2q21nadd said:
My dad purchased a JD 70 in 1953. I recently had a dealer tell me based on the serial number that they made around 3000-3500 70`s and that this one was the 77th one made. The tractor is in good working condition. It has been barn kept and I also have a full set of planters and some other JD equipment. I have the original bill of sale on this tractor that proves it is a one owner. I looked on yesterdaystractors.com I believe it was and on the JD registry it is unofficially the 12th oldest 70 in the USA and Canada. It could possibly be the oldest one owner 70 on record based on some of the things I saw on the website. Any ideas on what this tractor might be worth or where I might look to find out? Im not in a hurry to sell. I am just curious about it. I am the only one left in my family you might say and when I am gone it might get sold for peanuts. I might as well elplore my options on it now while I can. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Circle H Ranch

I think Yesterdaystractors boards would be the place to ask this question. It would probably have a lot more folks with the knowledge you are looking for. (Not saying their aren't any here.)

Going to depend on the "true" condition and if you can find the right person to sell it to. Probably worth between $1500 to....who knows....if you get the right two folks bidding on it at auction.

Well,
I don't know much about them except how to work on 'em and with 'em. I am here to tell all of you that the easiest tractor in the world is a 2 cylinder Deere. Besides that I don't have a clue....... :cboy:
~~BC

Im guessing the guy that told me only around 3500 were made was talking about the 1953 models only but I see by this link that they built roughly around 5700 of them in 1953. Wouldnt that maybe make it worth more if there were more of them made and this was an earlier one made? Once upon a time you could buy Tractor fuel here. I havent seen any in years but this particular tractor ran on gasoline or tractor fuel. I will have to get more than $2800 or I will keep it. Especially if I sell some of the equipment with it. Thanks for the link John. Bill

Circle H Ranch

Kenny, I am not sure. I guessing somewhere between gas and deisel . Several years back you could buy it from a local distributor .

Circle H Ranch

Tractor fuel was what is now known as kerosene. It was a byproduct of making gasoline. It was real cheap, as was kerosene, compared to gas. People used to use coal oil, named that because it came from processing coal, for lamp oil and heat. As demand for coal oil went up, kerosene was cleaned up so it could be used in place of the coal oil, and the use of aviation fuel, which drove the prices up. The price of tractor fuel got to be to expensive for farm use and was abandoned for diesel which was another byproduct of gasoline. I still hear old timers call kerosene"coal oil" , and diesel "tractor fuel". I have a 1939 RC Case tractor that my grandfather bought new, it starts on gasoline and when it is warmed up you switch it over to tractor fuel. It starts with spark plugs and when it is switched over to tractor fuel (kerosene) it fires on compression like a diesel.

upfrombottom":2ol4ge91 said:
Tractor fuel was what is now known as kerosene. It was a byproduct of making gasoline. It was real cheap, as was kerosene, compared to gas. People used to use coal oil, named that because it came from processing coal, for lamp oil and heat. As demand for coal oil went up, kerosene was cleaned up so it could be used in place of the coal oil, and the use of aviation fuel, which drove the prices up. The price of tractor fuel got to be to expensive for farm use and was abandoned for diesel which was another byproduct of gasoline. I still hear old timers call kerosene"coal oil" , and diesel "tractor fuel". I have a 1939 RC Case tractor that my grandfather bought new, it starts on gasoline and when it is warmed up you switch it over to tractor fuel. It starts with spark plugs and when it is switched over to tractor fuel (kerosene) it fires on compression like a diesel.

Yep your right, i drove a lot of them old tractors that ran on tractor fuel. One old guy that i worked for mixed tractor fuel with gas and put it is farm truck. It would spit an sputter but it would run.

Latest posts