John Deere 6310 over heating

Help Support CattleToday:

Mredd90

Reaction score
I have a 1999 John Deere 6310 that we use for feeding hay, bushhogging, cutting hay, and baling. For some reason it seems to start to overheat after about 20-30 minutes of baling or bushhogging and I'm only using a 10 ft bushhog and a JD 468 baler. Tractor has new radiator and the oil cooler and AC condenser in front of it are completely clean but it still wants to over heat. By the way it also has plenty of coolant and thermostat is working properly. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that would seem to fix it or lead to a solution?

I'd be looking at the thermostat again. Is the fan fixed or does it have a fluid coupling that could be crook? otherwise you have covered all the outside stuff you would have to start looking at the waterpump or the head.

Ken

Red Bull Breeder":rc20wvju said:
Need blowed out. Radiator is stopped up.
My first thoughts too until I read that it had a new radiator, etc.

The impeller could be loose from the water pump shaft, won't know til you take it apart and inspect.

My leaning would be water pump. Had a F150 that was doing same kinda thing. Pulled the water pump and the impeller had corroded away to nothing just the nut inside stirring the water.

Radiator has been blown out, it doesn't act like a head issue I've had head issues on other motors before. The only thing I can figure is either thermostat or water pump. Haven't really been wanting to dig that deep into it. Has anyone else noticed how crowded the front of the tractor is with battery. Air box

Mredd90":14hbw1xs said:
Radiator has been blown out, it doesn't act like a head issue I've had head issues on other motors before. The only thing I can figure is either thermostat or water pump. Haven't really been wanting to dig that deep into it. Has anyone else noticed how crowded the front of the tractor is with battery. Air box

So it overheats when you're hogging or baling. Does it cool off if you keep the RPM's up and cut off the PTO?

This may be a stupid question but have you taken the screen out that is just in front of the radiator and cleaned it? Mine can clog up pretty quickly when I'm baling.

I've found newer equipment has "High efficiency" radiators.. which means more but smaller air and coolant passages which clog up, and yes, the screen in front of it too which is often too close to the rad, and dandelion seeds will find their way through it.. How new is this new rad? On our old JD 950 we had to clean the rad before any hard work, every time.

I'd check the water pump as well too, and just replace the thermostat (if it's easier, do that first)

My dads 6430 was overheating they said there were rubber grommets in the cooling system that had shrunk or weathered qnd caused a problem. I only half listened sorry.

If the tractor is overheating when it is "working" weather this be pulling a disc, running a baler or some other PTO driven equipment there is a simple test you can perform that will better tell you if it is your water pump. I'd hook the bush hog to it and let it run up to operating temperature with the PTO on. When it overheatsPTO off and watch your water temp. If it cools down pretty quickly then the impeller on the water pump is slipping. If it takes a few minutes, say over 5, then I'd say you have problems elsewhere. If it were a busted head or blown head gasket you would be loosing coolant. Assuming you are not loosing any this is where I'd start. There is no need to move the tractor while you do this. Simply let it sit in position.

Latest posts