John Deere 5420

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on JD 5420? We've always had old worn out tractors that you usually have to spend more time working on than you do using them. We are thinking of upgrading and there is a 5420 for sale here. Anyone have suggestions about this tractor or others in the 65 hp class? I'm looking for a reliable tractor to feed with, bushhog and plant winter grazing. Probably won't pull anything heavier than a 10 ft pull type disc or 7 foot tye drill.

If you have lose footing I would sure look seriously at front wheel assist/FWD. I had a 5510 (75 horse) it had some curious design issues. The fuel system was crappy to the point that if you had less then half a tank and went uphill it would run out of fuel and the A/C system never worked worth a hoot. I understand from others that those were pretty common problems.

This tractor is fwd with a loader. I don't have any experience with anything newer than about 1980 so I appreciate the information. I know this is a different series and I figure someone on here will be able to tell me if the 5020 series has generally been reliable or if there are any known common problems.

They are good with 4-wheel drive, but a bit light on the back end. I have liquid in the tires, and weights. Still I find myself using the FWA. I really like mine, good power, small enough to get around easy.

we have a IH 684, good tractor, a bit long so it's not a very tight turner, but it makes for good traction, my biggest gripe about it is they should have put another gear between 2nd and 3rd, or put the big gap between 3rd and 4th instead as you have to rev the piss out of it in 2nd to be able to get 1400 rpm in 3rd.. otherwise a very solid tractor with a good hitch, nice pto engagement and decent hydraulics

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate anymore opinions. Only problem with IH is no nearby dealer that I am aware of, but I appreciate the recommendation. I'm not in love with any brand, just want a good reliable tractor. Tired of working on what we have every time we use it.

If you are pulling a disc . check the weight of the tractors .. from different brands. the heavier the tractor the smoother the ride also .

Latest posts